1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zandra Rhodes help, please?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jannetje, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Jannetje

Jannetje Registered Guest

Hi all, I'm a newbie here. I have a Zandra Rhodes from (I'm guessing) the early '70s, but have no idea what to ask in an auction or sale. We had it up on ebay with a high high high reserve since we were unable to research it beforehand. Does anyone have an idea what its worth is? I inherited it from a cousin in the 70s, which is when we both wore it. I'd still wear it if I hadn't gotten too short for my weight! The pics aren't the greatest, light was too low but too much light with the flash. Thanks, Janice

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

Hi Janice and welcome. That dress is a beauty. I'll be waiting to see what the experts have to say too.

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That is a nifty dress. While her work is very respected, and there have been museum retrospectives, Rhodes' work is I think less common then some designers who are bringing big prices. And her appeal is very specific. People love her stuff, or are completely ambivalent. And as trends go, she doesn't seem to be"hot' right now. Not that that's an insult - Bonnie Cashin is not bringing great prices and every one says she was a genius. This also isn't a look that is in right now for wearing.

So I did a search of current an recent ebay auctions, and the prices for good dresses seem to be in the $150 -$ 200 range.

So you could go for that price, or you could hold this great dress until either current fashion is more in line with Rhodes aesthetic, or until there is a big retrospective or book coming out that would boost interest.

Now this is really just general advice - Jonathan ( who is off on NYC having a grand time, I expect) may be checking in and I am sure has more specific information on Rhodes.

And there are some folk who frequent the VC&A board on ebay who are big Rhodes fans.

Hollis

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

It's a great dress, and early 70s seems to be entirely right. That ruffled hankie-type hem is one of her signatures. Can you show us the label?

Lizzie

5. katzoid

katzoid VFG Member

Wow! Very pretty.

Seems that the sleeves are unusually long, I take it that they would be gathered up on your arm or is there an other opening and they remaining portion hangs?

The style reminds me of Stevie Nicks, not the color though.

Also very sexy!

Kat !~)

6. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

*drool*

I'm not an expert on Rhodes but this is the nicest one I've seen (by that I mean wearable!! ;)) They've been going for around £100 on ebayUK lately but with only one bid on the first or second relist - it's a bit of a struggle. If I had the money, I'd buy <b>that</b> one!

Liz

7. latebloomers

latebloomers Registered Guest

This is the most FANTASTIC Rhodes creation I have seen. In fact, I think this is the first I have seen that I would wear. (If I could fit in it, of course.)

8. Vintagetrend

Vintagetrend Registered Guest

Oh my!
    Is the label a black with an electric blue embroidered name and stars all about?
    Janice I love the comment on getting too short for your weight! Such a fabulous way to put it!
    If it is in near mint to mint condition I would most certainly make an offer but I fear not as high as you may want for it. I want to wear this!
    Could you please let me know if you are interested OR when you will be relisting it?
    Is it a true pumpkin shade?
    Good lord I havent even asked the size!

Michelle

9. schoolsgirl

schoolsgirl Registered Guest

Yes, that style screams Stevie Nicks, dont put it on the title but you can certainly describe it as such inside your auction's description

the color orange is HOT right now, the new black
    good luck with it!

Ultra feminine killer dress

10. latebloomers

latebloomers Registered Guest

Just had to come back and look at it again. You simply must tell us what the measurements are!

You can't put Stevie in the title, but you can put Romantic Gothic.

11. ourbabyroo

ourbabyroo Registered Guest

Ooh...Romantic Gothic - I love it! :)

And I love this dress!

Are you able to take pics outside? I find I get the best pics of orange, red and black items outside on a day with some overcast.

<i>...if I hadn't gotten too short for my weight!</i>

What a coinky-dink! That is what happened to me ;)

12. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

This is a fabulous Rhodes and exactly what I envision when I think of her work. I have two ZRs and they pale, pale, pale
    in comparison to this one!

Man I wish I could wear something like this (sadly another
    one struck with the height/weight virus).

Sue

13. Just have to chime in and let you know that you have another fan here for your ZR!! THAT is one hot dress!!!!

Bonnie

14. Jannetje

Jannetje Registered Guest

Thanks to all, Ellenm, thanks for your warm welcome and reply; Hollis, thank you for your reply - I knew someone in my HS days about a thousand years ago named Hollis (Holly Freeman), a family name; you're the only other Hollis I've ever 'met'! And thank you for the info on the VC&A board. I'll check in there. Lizzie, thank you for your reply and yes on the label pic, I don't have the dress here at my house though, it's at my partner's. Kat, thank you; the sleeves are sooo long but yes, they were made to be scrunched up, and come down low and tight over the hand. Liz, thank you, too, for your reply - I love this dress also, and wish I could still wear it! Probably never will again, but hey! Zandra still dresses in her own fashions...! But my nights out usually consist of walking the dogs; I guess it's not quite right for that. Timber, thank you - the dress is a beauty, drapes wonderfully and isn't a cheesy kind of knit - it has some weight and body to it (like me, hah!) It's size is 8, but I'm not sure if it's GB or USA; at any rate, it's the 8 from the early 70s, nothing like today's. I was a size 6 when I wore it back then (about 32-23-33) and a friend who was at least 20 lbs heavier could also fit into it and look good. We were both short to begin with, 5'2"...down to 5' now; the original owner was a bit taller, maybe 5'4" or 6", but always wore ultra high heels and was built!
    Hi Michelle, sorry on the label, it's not the blue but cream and gold, Zandra Rhodes London sz 8, and thanks on the weight comment! I'd like to say the dress is near mint, but I don't really know. I can say it's in the condition it was in when I got it, so I'd guess it's near mint. I'll post the measurements after I get them and the pic from my partner's computer; I should be up there for this weekend. The dress form I used is from the 1940s, and I'm guessing it's that era's 10 or 12? I do wish the fashion industry had some size standards and would stick to them!
    Liz schoolsgirl, thank you for your reply, and thanks for the Stevie Nicks mention; I'd never have thought of that but you're absolutely right! Bonnie, thanks...yes, that really is one HOT dress! Roo, Romantic Gothic it is! And thanks for the tip on photographing outdoors; my partner's house is perfect for that, looks like it's in the middle of the woods...and to you and Sue, isn't it funny how that height/weight thing spreads around?;)
    Thank you all so much for your comments and thoughts and ideas...this is a great bunch of people! I'll re-take the photos, outdoors, and the label, so the true color will show up. It is pretty close to the right upper side of the darker pic posted now, and to the front detail pic. It's a gorgeous shade.

Janice

15. schoolsgirl

schoolsgirl Registered Guest

Janice thank you for stopping by again!
    You must tell us if you list it or put it up so we can follow its progress.