Anybody ever seen or heard of these?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jonathan, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Apparently they are for putting in aprons......
    Apron Hoops.jpg

EndlessAlley likes this.
  2. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

What an awesome idea, I have never heard of these, but I wish we could still buy these Jonathon!

3. retro ruth

retro ruth Administrator Staff Member

Huh? What do they actually do?

4. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

They go around the waist. You make a simple rectangle of fabric with a foldover at the top to slip the flexible plastic through and voila! You have an apron! The plastic hugs your waist.

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I guess it's a form of covered boning - steel or plastic Jonathan?
    making a 'snap on' apron! It's a neat idea. One for your shop maybe Gayle?

sewingmachinegirl likes this.
  6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

We were offered them for the museum - I haven't actually handled them yet.

7. I have 2 of them in the original packages also. But then, I usually have just about anything.

foofoogal, cmpollack and Pinkcoke like this.
  8. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

What fun. Initially I was thinking they were for the bottom of the apron - creating some kind of ballroom/petticoat effect! Wouldn't be very convenient in the kitchen. It reminds me of that fabric they used to sell that was gathered with elastic smocking at one end. Cut to the appropriate side, sew up the one seam and voila - a skirt... of sorts.

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

image.jpg
    Here is a mid-1950s ad for that fun apron item. The earliest reference to them I found (in a quick look) was from 1950 and the latest was from 1980, in which the writer noted how helpful they were to people who had the use of only one arm.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  10. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

OH! Lynne, you always find such treasures for us. Jonathan - Do you have a section in the museum - vintage fashion for the handicapped? How interesting.

11. Yes! I remember using them. Mom had two in the kitchen. We'd thread them through a hem she'd sewn on a couple old towels for my sister and I to do the dirty work. Sometimes we'd mess around and put them around our chests to cover more of our front from harm. Of course I was a lot smaller back then, lol!

cotmyey likes this.
  12. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

How convenient. I was thinking how a handtowel would work fine with those. Neat.

13. You learn something new here every day.

foofoogal likes this.
  14. Yes! I have one of these that was my grandmother's.

Attached Files:

Jonathan, Midge and lkranieri like this.
  15. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member