Vintage Safari jacket - Ahamed Brothers, Nairobi

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, Jul 27, 2015.

1. This is an unusual piece for me and I can't find anything about how long Ahamed Brothers were in business. What also contributes to the confusion is that their name is often misspelled as "Ahmed" (leaving out the second "a").
    What I have been able to find out:
    -Ahamed Brothers "overhauled" Jane Goodall's tent in 1962 but missed a rip in it, prompting her to instruct a friend to "tick them off".
    -In 1972, the Chicago Tribune travel Q&A column advised safari-goers that, "It's more fun, tho, to order your costume in advance" by writing the Ahamed Brothers in Nairobi.
    -The January 1963 issue of "Guns" magazine advises those going on safari to visit "the emporium of the world-famous safari outfitters, Ahamed Brothers. There, in a matter of hours, a complete safari suit will be made to order, including a natty green or khaki jungle jacket", and "Before you leave Ahamed Brothers be sure and sign the Guest Book. To impress the folks back home, take a few photographs of some of the names you'll find in its yellowed pages. They include such famous personages as Ernest Hemingway, Clark Gable, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Rock Hudson, Kirk Douglas, Trevor Howard, Robert Taylor, and dozens of others, equally as impressive". The magazine even has a photo of said guest book page along with photos of Trevor Howard, Kirk Douglas, and William Holden in the store.
    -I also found an article stating, "East African hunting clients from the early 1900's onwards were whisked into the safari tailors Ahmed Brothers as soon as the reached Nairobi. They were then measured and kitted out in perfectly tailored safari suits, boots and hats which were delivered to them the next day."
    -From the Kenya Airways in-flight magazine, June 2013, an article on the history of African clothing including the safari suit, "The tailoring outfit, Ahmed Brothers, who kitted out film stars, big game hunters, adventurers and wildlife photographers, are generally credited with the iconic design using khaki material and incorporating several pockets to cater for life in the bush. The suits came complete with a wide-brimmed hat, often finished off with a strip of lion or leopard skin, boots and belts designed to take ammunition."
    -Louis Leakey asked for, and received, two free tents from them.

Sorry this has become so long-winded but I found the research fascinating! Ok, my question: any guesses on how old this women's safari jacket is? (And can't you just picture Grace Kelly in Mogambo?)
    Thanks,
    ~Donna

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

The mis-spelling is probably due to the name being African in this case, but is more often known as the middle eastern Ahmed.

The jacket is pretty fitted so I would go with late 50s to early 60's. The label style also seems to suit this period to me.

I know this isn't a real safari jacket, but it shows the look was in fashion, and the length and pocket sizes are similar, from 1959:
    [​IMG]

and although I suspect this is actually a military rather than civillian suit, Clark Gable's jacket has the same pockets and general look, from 1953:

Is yours beige or khaki? if the latter I suspect it might be more for jungle wear, do to the long sleeves and camouflage colour.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  3. Thank you, Melanie :) The color is similar to khaki but has a slight green-ish tinge. One of my references above refers to getting a safari suit in a "natty green". I wonder if this is what it is referring to.