1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating sweater

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Eliezer Vintage, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Eliezer Vintage

Eliezer Vintage Registered Guest

Hi! I need some help dating this men’s wool sweater. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thank you - Amanda

Attached Files:

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Welcome!

It will help us if you can show us a photo of the whole sweater plus any design details.

The Woolmark tag came into use in the early 70s, which means this is no earlier than that.

denisebrain likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It was mid 60s, I think? For the original 100% wool woolmark, which this is. There are a couple of later incarnations that denote blends.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I too would like to see the photo of the whole sweater, that would help us to help you.

5. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

You are correct, Ruth. I wasn't sure at first glance what the part obscured by the size tag said. On closer inspection, it does say 100% pure. That tag originated in 1964. The snippet of sweater & labeling we have seen so far looks newer than that.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  6. Eliezer Vintage

Eliezer Vintage Registered Guest

Hi all - see attached picture of the sweater. Thank you all for your help!

Attached Files:

7. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

This doesn't help with dating, but I found a shirt on Etsy with the same label. The label photo of the shirt includes a label with an RN number. Looking up the RN number (https://rn.ftc.gov/Account/BasicSearch) shows that "Points North" was registered to M. Fine & Sons Manufacturing Co. Inc. This company has lots of registered trademarks (https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/m-fine-sons-manufacturing-co-inc-45085/), but unfortunately, "Points North" is not listed. The company was in business until 2012.