1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date Era and Style

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Char E, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Char E

Char E Registered Guest

Hello,
    I hope anyone can assist me with this Vintage Pristine Dress.
    I am looking for the style of the dress, era, and fabric. The fur is authentic, looks feel like mink.
    I am eager to post.

Thank You!
    Char E

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi and welcome to the forums! Am I seeing this right that it is a tunic-style top and skirt actually? Unfortunately the first photo is a bit fuzzy. Does it have any labels at all anywhere? If so, can you please post images of those as well?

3. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

Like Midge says, your photos are a little out of focus so detail is not great.

When you write Vintage, I am thinking your outfit is very late 1990s.

As for style, I have seen 1920/30s show girl outfits with this type of fur hem line, it not showgirl but reminds me a little of that type of outfit and era.

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hard to be sure, would need better photos, but it looks 1960s to me.

5. Yes, I see early '60s too. Lace is likely rayon or nylon: a burn test will confirm.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I see 60s as well. Lining looks like an acetate and lace could be a rayon or a cotton lace...possibly a nylon lace as Nicole mentioned above.

7. Char E

Char E Registered Guest

Thank You for all your response. I will re-post pictures.

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

It took me a while to remember... but it kind of reminds me of this pattern, which was among the first lots that I acquired for my shop:

il_794xN.1294737571_741b.jpg

9. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

There appear to be three pieces, a long sleeved sheer top, a skirt, and a sleeveless tunic. Interesting outfit!

I'm also seeing 60s,with the metal zip, and there was a tunic-over-a-skirt trend in that era.

10. Retro Ruth

This one too:

[​IMG]

Vinclothes and Midge like this.
  11. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

My sense is 1960s as well. I can't quite tell whether the mauve shade of the lining is original or whether there has been color turn. I'm wondering about a reddish tone with the lace as well.

Some of the vintage dyes were unstable - sometimes over the years, the entire garment shifts, and other times you see it primarily in spots where the wearer's body heat triggered it. I have had color turn primarily with black garments, but also a few blues and greens. This 1960s lace cage-style dress is an example of color turn with black lace
    lacecagecloser.jpg
    lacecageflaw.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Vinclothes likes this.
  12. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

But the fur trim 60s???

13. Yes, there was a lot of fur trim in the early '60s. It always reminds me of Doris Day.

The pattern that Karin mentions above is 1963. I've had several '60s dresses with fur trim. It's a pain because you have to take it off before cleaning otherwise your dry cleaner will charge a bomb.

[​IMG]

Midge likes this.
  14. MagsRags

Yes. If you do a search on Etsy, you'll see multiple examples. Here's one from my Sold archives with mink cuffs.
    lurexandminkdress.png

15. MagsRags

Cross posted with Nicole!

16. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

I didn't make my question/doubt clearer.

I wasn't questioning any longer the dress was 60s and that 60s dresses/coats didn't have fur trim.

More that I have not found an example of Char's dress with fur trim at hem line.

If as Nicole says there was a practice to have to remove them when dry cleaning, that makes sense.

But the dress as per photo with fur trim at hem line looks odd to me and am wondering if added at a later date.

As I wrote I have seen 20s/30s showgirl outfits a little like this but not 60s.

17. I found a number of '60s dresses with fur trimmed hemlines via google. Here is one from Pinterest. Sadly without attribution so apologies if this belongs (or the photo belongs) to anyone, please let me know and I will credit properly.

[​IMG]

I won't link but I also found a nice Julius Garfinckel '60s dress with fur hem, and several others.

18. Retro Ruth

It's less common than wrists and neckline, but there are certainly examples of fur trim at the hem of dresses/skirts from the 60s

If you image search "1960s fur trimmed dress" you will find several examples, which do appear to be correctly dated to the 1960s.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  19. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thank you XX

Retro Ruth likes this.