1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

Now I do know (I think!) that Joseph Magnin is the son of I. Magnin, but other than that I am clueless.

I have Jonny Herbert with a Joseph Magnin tag in, whihc I assume to be the store tag. So did Joseph inherit I Magnin the store, or would it be a seperate operation?

I shall add a picture later, my camera battery gave a big sigh at the crucial moment so have given up for this evening! :)

2. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Harriet, I've wondered before what the exact deal is with the Magnins, and your post spurred me on to further research. This is what I found, thus it seems that the Joseph Magnin stores were separate, at least partly, from I. Magnin. It sounds as if both chains were owned by the family, but kept as separate entities, based on this find and the label resource here. (BTW, I've recently gotten a handbag labeled "Made in Great Britain for Joseph Magnin." No design house name, though; would you have any idea who might have made bags for Magnin? It has a rough-napped leather lining, which I've seen in Elbief bags before.)

"In 1913, Joseph Magnin (son of Isaac Magnin, founder of the I. Magnin stores) founded a department store bearing his name. In 1967, the chain reached its peak popularity with over 32 stores. It had become one of the premier luxury department store chains in the country. The Magnin family sold the chain to Amfac Corp. in 1969. In September 1984, bankruptcy closed the remaining 24 stores."

3. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

:headbang: You rock Anne!

Thank you very much for that - extremely useful!

The rough napped leather lining sounds familiar to me, I'm sure I've seen a few of the same brand but frustratingly enough I can't think what it was.

I shall go find some caffeine and then try!!