1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Capture.PNG This is an early photo of Queen V. Have you ever seen it before? Do you know the source? Thanks, C

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Claire,

You might check with the Getty Museum here in LA. They did a wonderful exhibit a few years ago of early photos of Victoria and Albert and family. Most were by 1 or 2 particular photographers. This does look familiar and I am wondering it I saw it there.

3. claireshaeffer

Thanks, Barbara

4. I enjoyed researching this!
    Many internet sources claim the photo is from 1840 and Victoria to be age 21. This seemed unlikely according the the history of stereoscopes, the earliest known invented in 1838. But that one did not use side-by-side images. An 1839 version was used to view drawn transparencies since photography was only just being invented. It wasn't until 1849 that the stereoscope that most people are familiar with was invented. The method used for that one "allowed a reduction in size, creating hand-held devices, which became known as Brewster Stereoscopes, much admired by Queen Victoria when they were demonstrated at the Great Exhibition of 1851." The stereograph you inquired about is actually from April 1854, when Queen Victoria was just shy of her 35th birthday.

Anyway, here you go: https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/72047/queen-victoria-1819-1901

And just for fun:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  5. claireshaeffer

Judy, thank you. The photo was sent to me by my DIL who is taking a course on early 19th c. women at the Newberry in Chicago.
    I'll send you comments to her.

6. You're welcome!
    (And I'm Donna, LOL :))

7. claireshaeffer

Does Donna travel with Judy?
    I sent it to Lynn; she was impressed with my friends and will take the info to class tonight.
    Again, thanks, Donna.

8. I wish I had traveled with Judy, reading her travel journal, she sounds like a fun gal!