1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could this be a 20s dress???

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LovelyRibosomes, Sep 21, 2018.

1. LovelyRibosomes

LovelyRibosomes Registered Guest

Hope this is okay, this is not my dress (!)

It is currently being offered on etsy and is being described as an original 1920s dress. I honestly think that it looks more like 1980s. There are so many details that - I think - are unusual for the 20s, like the somewhat tailored bodice, the huge bow, the velvet material and the fact that it apparently closes with a zipper. Really the only thing that reminds me of the 20s is the dropped waist.

I really don't want to call anyone out, but this has been bugging me ever since I found the dress. If the seller is actually over half a decade off, maybe someone should tell them..? But maybe I'm entirely wrong.

Btw the seller has mostly 80s and 90s fashion in their shop. This dress is (supposedly) by far the oldest item they have.

il_570xN.1214011038_cyqw.jpg il_570xN.1214011046_9sc6.jpg il_570xN.1214011084_3t4h.jpg il_570xN.1261236353_mtgt.jpg

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

What are the seams like? Is there any fastening? I think this might be - but need to see those finer details - 80s.

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

It does not look 20s to me - I'm guessing costume of some sort, done by a seamstress rather than manufactured. It looks like there are largish self-fabric covered buttons in back over the zipper placket? Someone thought the buttons would create a more "period" illusion, except also wrong details for 20s. Or 30s or 40s, for that matter.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  4. I too see a costume piece trying to look 1920s. The fabric and the bow, plus the trimming is all wrong for the period

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. I see very early '80s: about 1980-1981 when that colour, fabric and shoulderline was popular. It doesn't have to be a costume, it could just be a dress. The drop-waisted style was big in the '80s.

Sadly there are many misidentified vintage items on Etsy: the shoe section is particularly woeful. There was a time when I would let sellers know but they rarely appreciate it: at best, they're polite, at worst they're not. Plus it's more than a full-time job just to alert them all, there are so many. So I just let them go, but I feel your pain: it's frustrating. I hope buyers aren't fooled but you know they are at times.

7. LovelyRibosomes

LovelyRibosomes Registered Guest

Thank you for your opinions. You all seem to agree with what I thought. In a way that's a shame but I'm also glad that my valuation wasn't off ^^

I can't say because I found the dress online on Etsy. I was thinking about contacting the seller but I don't really feel like doing that anymore.

I agree. I'm glad that I found some confirmation of my suspicion here but now I just want to leave the whole thing behind me. I don't want to go policing the marketplace. That would likely lead to a good amount of hostility and honestly one of the things I love most about vintage is that the community is so helpful to one another because it is all about preserving history together. I don't want to spoil that for me.

8. Totally 80s. Agree with Nicole's assessment.