1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elen Henderson - toddler/girl dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Mardi Tiesma Stewart, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Mardi Tiesma Stewart

Mardi Tiesma Stewart Registered Guest

1DB1360D-3639-4788-B8EE-0DB56C35721E.jpeg D1657D4E-7BB9-4B75-87B6-471530F2BCAD.jpeg 5E4335EA-CB9E-47E7-BCFE-E3DD0FE90727.jpeg 9AE50322-BD8E-46D4-91B8-A280E06DBB22.jpeg I purchased this gorgeous Elen Henderson dress and researched her after getting home and loved learning so much about her and the brand...but with this knowledge I find I am doing more hmmm, then feeling like I know more about it. The tag neither states “made in Canada” or “made for Holt Renfrew” like others I have found when researching. The interior of the dress shows the fabric edging which is American, and odd that it shows. Most things stated she didn’t use too brilliant of colours, and mine is red, and it doesn’t have a lining which is used as a descriptor for her dresses. Would love any insight to this dress - maybe it’s a prototype? If so, does that make it more special or less? Let me know if you have any thoughts...I am so new to this world, but loving all the history and backstories!

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The fabric appears to be made in Texas, as it's printed along the selvedge, but the dress was made in Canada. The tag you are showing has a Canadian registration tag of CA01122, which is registered to Elen Henderson and her Don Mills Ontario HQ address. CA numbers are for all Canadian manufacturers and importers of clothing. The tag also has the Canadian care symbols which were in use from about 1973 to 1993. After 1993 the colour coding of green, yellow, and red (do, be careful, and don't) was dropped to align with American care symbols, which did not use the colour coding because of the NAFTA agreement. She made for many retailers, not just Holt Renfrew, so that is probably why it doesn't have that store label.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  3. Mardi Tiesma Stewart

Mardi Tiesma Stewart Registered Guest

Thank you sooo much for your reply! So helpful and so knowledgeable. I really appreciate it!