Gunne Sax?

Sarah M

Registered Guest
So, my mom wore this dress to her high school graduation in the year 1980, and I was wondering if anyone here can tell if it is a Gunne Sax or not. She cut the tag off because the dress is so sheer. There are some Gunne Sax that are sheer and are styled similar to this dress, but I can’t find this particular one on the web.
27128EE5-89D9-48FC-A375-BCB653B00FEB.jpeg

Welcome to the VFG forums!

Is there any remnant of tag at all? Maybe with an RN number?

Welcome to the VFG forums!

Is there any remnant of tag at all? Maybe with an RN number?

The tag was cut off close to the collar, but the tiny remnant that is there is tan colored, like a Gunne Sax label. But there might be other brand tags that color too so I can't tell for sure if it is a Gunne.

F633F51A-D4B1-4DB8-88ED-80729499F8B0.jpeg
34CF0153-D4EE-4BF4-95DD-6C6C75E028E9.png
04ea4d4d-bc96-4559-b25a-47aca22ecc21
QUOTE="denisebrain, post: 788241, member: 73"]This may sound crazy, but could you show the tiny remnant of tag?

I wasn't able to find an ad for your exact dress, but it is very similar to Gunne Sax of 1980s. The flutter sleeves, the sheer—everything. I've had this dress with the GS label.

View attachment 173106 View attachment 173107
This may sound crazy, but could you show the tiny remnant of tag?
Unfortunately, the tag was cut so close to the collar seam that it wouldn’t really show very well on camera. I literally need to peel back the seam allowance of the collar to see the minute tag remnant and squint at it to see what color it is. I’ll just say that it is a creamy tan color.
Also, I did some more research online and found some Gunne Sax dresses that look like they were made with the same pattern, but with different fabric, lace, and buttons. Do you think this info is enough to conclude that it is a Gunne Sax? (Also, see the dress that Ranch Queen Vintage posted. It also fits these characteristics.)

I wasn't able to find an ad for your exact dress, but it is very similar to Gunne Sax of 1980s. The flutter sleeves, the sheer—everything. I've had this dress with the GS label.

View attachment 173106 View attachment 173107

This one, though, had a different label.
View attachment 173108

This one, though, had a different label.
View attachment 173108[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the tag was cut so close to the collar seam that it wouldn’t really show very well on camera. I literally need to peel back the seam allowance of the collar to see the minute tag remnant and squint at it to see what color it is. I’ll just say that it is a creamy tan color.
Also, I did some more research online and found some Gunne Sax dresses that look like they were made with the same pattern, but with different fabric, lace, and buttons. Do you think this info is enough to conclude that it is a Gunne Sax? (Also, see the dress that Ranch Queen Vintage posted. It also fits these characteristics.)

Personally I wouldn't call it conclusive evidence, because there were so many close imitators, but I'd say it's likely a Gunne Sax.

Thanks, everyone. I'm not an experienced Gunne Sax collector, but my mom's side of the family kept a lot of their dresses from back when they were new and I like them. My mom is pretty certain that the dress in this thread is indeed a Gunne Sax, but I have OCD and the lack of a tag is freaking me out. nervous emoti But everything else checks out, so I think I'm safe to conclude that it is one.

Back