Swatch Book - late 1800s

amandainvermont

VFG Member
Nicole Jenkins posted this Japanese indigo dye swatch book on Facebook and I thought it was lovely.

Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 8.32.37 AM.png

I started to describe how these "rice resist" patterns are made, but I really don't know for sure ... if someone else wants to jump in. Nor do I know the source of this image.

Hi Amanda, thank you for sharing: I can tell you more about it.

I posted it to Instagram which shared it to FB - you can see the original post here. I took the photo at the exhibition.

It's on display at a current exhibition in Oxford, UK at the Ashmolean museum, called 'Colour Revolution' (details here).

I'm currently in Paris and was so excited about the exhibition that I detoured to London and Oxford to see it, on the way. They have a lot of Victorian colour and fabric swatches on display: I should have taken pics of them all but will get the book instead.

Here's another, from the link above:
synthetic_dye_samples_the_berlin_aniline_co_wool_card_c.1900_c_oxford_museum_of_history_of_science.jpg

The particular Japanese swatches I shared are stencilled prints using indigo dyes. Customers would flick through the swatch books to pick out patterns for their custom kimonos.

I hope that helps. If you want the catalogue, here it is:
ASI-3666_1024x1024.jpg

Nicole

@Circa Vintage Clothing I am going to be in Paris in a week (stopping over on the way to Belgium by train). How long are you there? I'm going to see the sports fashion exhibition at Musée des Arts Decoratifs.

Nicole Jenkins posted this Japanese indigo dye swatch book on Facebook and I thought it was lovely.

View attachment 177303

I started to describe how these "rice resist" patterns are made, but I really don't know for sure ... if someone else wants to jump in. I absolutely love Japanese indigo and boro prints. The pattern book in this format is simply amazing with its amazing designs and techniques. In it, every page seems to come to life under the skill of Japanese masters. This is real art that inspires me with its beauty and subtlety of execution. Looking through it, I immerse myself in the world of ancient Japanese culture and traditions. I even searched for case study analysis for this book, found https://papersowl.com/blog/how-to-write-a-case-study-analysis for this. This book became for me not only a source of inspiration, but also an object of deep respect for the skill of Japanese artists. These people are really talented. Nor do I know the source of this image.
At first the picture didn’t load and I didn’t understand what they were talking about! Just wow! Now I see!

Back