1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this ocelot fur?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jamie west, Apr 19, 2024.

1. Jamie west

Jamie west Registered Guest

I bought this gorgeous fur coat at goodwill, thinking it was faux leopard fur. I had planned to resell it, given the mob wives aesthetic that is trendy right now. After looking it over better when I got home, I feel like it's real fur and the pattern seems to look a lot like ocelot fur, when I Google search it. I am decently familiar with some furs but, this one is puzzling me. Can anyone help me identify this? And can I legally sell it?

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Can you see the under pelt by going under the lining? That would be the best way to verify.
    As it states clean by fur coat method, it is likely a faux fur, it also says it is fabric on the label.

3. Jamie west

I found a loose place in the sleeve, I have attached a photo. I've not identified fur this way before. So, can you elaborate on what I'm looking for? Thank you for your response!

Attached Files:

4. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

I am definitely seeing faux fur. Cute!

5. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Real fur looks like suede leather on the back, and is usually small pieces joined together with fine seaming. A fake fur has a backing like what you posted, fabric with a weave. Often a real fur coat will have an interlining of fabric though, so you have to make sure you’re not actually looking at that.

If you weren’t able to see the back, you could simply do a burn test on a few of the hairs. Fur will smell like burning hair and leave a stiff black ash you can crumble; whereas faux fur will smell like chemicals and leave a hard ball behind.

This way you can sell it!

6. Jamie west

Thanks!

7. Jamie west

Thank you for the information! I appreciate it so much!

Jen S likes this.
  8. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Also the label says “clean by fur coat method” which means it isn’t real fur but should be cleaned as such