Gina Fratini dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jane L, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Jane L

Jane L Registered Guest

My teenage daughter picked up a Gina Fratini dress at a jumble sale today, while looking for a fancy dress costume and not knowing anything about the designer. Other than photos of Diana, Princess of Wales wearing the same design in 1981 I can't find anything that tells me about about rarity or value. Would there have been lots of the same design produced? It seems like this might be something to keep until she has grown into it, rather than repurposing it? Any information greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Shusteroo likes this.
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

There are many Gina Fratini dresses on the internet... I would just keep searching till you find similar in the early 80s range. They are pretty pricey and she's a respected designer so I'd not repurpose it.

Jane L likes this.
  3. Jane L

Jane L Registered Guest

Thanks. I seem to have expended the search results for Gina Fratini 'green velvet' and 'lace collar' with no luck (other than Diana photo). There is b&w photo of the desinger in 1978 in something very similar. The underskirt has a tuck in it (neat and reversible) suggesting it has been altered in the past so the lace no longer shows below the velvet hem line. Thoughts of repurposing are definitely out the window!

4. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Your daughter did well, it looks a lovely dress and what a great find at a jumble sale!