Has anyone tried to hand wash Josefa caftans?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LeAnne Lerner, Jul 26, 2024.

1. LeAnne Lerner

LeAnne Lerner Registered Guest

They say to dry clean on the label, but I bought a couple with a lot of stains so am wondering if I could try handwashing them. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is it stupid to even consider handwashing?
    Thank you for your expertise!

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I have no personal experience with Josepha's. Tagging Heather @Noble Vintage Clothier who has had several. Hopefully she will know more.

3. LeAnne Lerner

Thank you so much!

MagsRags likes this.
  4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Heather would probably know best, but here is my standard caveat regarding dye bleed, which I think may be the problem with handwashing a Josefa:
    Always check for the possibilities of dye bleeding and shrinking by moistening a small spot of your garment’s fabric in an inconspicuous place, using the soap or detergent and water of the temperature in which you plan to wash. Let the liquid sit a moment, then blot the spot with a white towel. Embroidery and other embellishments should be checked too. If cold water doesn’t budge the dye, don’t assume that warm water won’t—always test with what you will be using for your wash water. If you see any color on your white towel, I would recommend dry cleaning. Allowing the test spot to dry you will see puckering if the fabric is inclined to shrink.

From my book (VFG affiliate link)

Jonathan, MagsRags and LeAnne Lerner like this.
  5. LeAnne Lerner

Thank you! It sounds like dry cleaning is my best bet, I just don’t think they’re going to be able to get all the old stains out.

6. Noble Vintage Clothier

Noble Vintage Clothier VFG Board Member

Hi,
    I have purchased Josefa’s with color bleed and always soak those in Synthrapol to release as much of the color bleed as possible.

When I find them with no prior color bleed, I have soaked my darker colored Josefa’s with no issues and have spot treated and dry cleaned my brightly colored pieces to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps!

7. LeAnne Lerner

Thank you so much!