1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

To the best of my knowledge this skirt is 1860s in vintage. The magenta and the Greek key-like motif seem to spell that era but I could use input (and correction). The fabrics are iridescent silk taffeta and silk velvet ribbon. The waist has a drawstring tie and the skirt has an even hemline.
    P5087178.JPG

There are a handful of small muslin pieces on the inside, and they are not serving as patches. Was a muslin lining removed?

P5087189.JPG

Thank you in advance for any help!

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

3. denisebrain

Great, thank you Melanie!

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Maggie, with the 3 tiers and horizontal emphasis, it can also be a bit earlier - late 1850s. Skirts were often interlined with cotton to help them keep their shape and for durability. Cutting that out would be a pain. I'd call those tabs rather than Greek Key. Is this completely machine sewn, or both hand and machine?

The drawstring waist bothers me a little, but that could easily be a later alteration for size.

6. denisebrain

Hollis, the sewing is both by machine and by hand.

I wanted to call the skirt crenulated but had the feeling that wasn't it. —tabs...OK then!

7. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Wow, great find! I love learning about earlier pieces like this vicariously.

"Crenulated" works for me, but as both Hollis and the listing Melanie links to use the term "tabs", that must be the correct description... :rolleyes:

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Crenulated is the correct term for an edging on the turret of a Norman castle but there isn't really a long section between each tab, so tabs is probably more correct. I agree that late 1850s or maybe 1860 on the nose is about right, however, it looks to me as if it was a dress, and the skirt was unpicked from the waistband to store flat. 1850s/60s skirts were never on a drawstring - that is a later alteration, and surely this had a matching bodice.

9. denisebrain

Good info, thanks Jonathan!

10. missy hyatt

missy hyatt Registered Guest

During the 1850-60s only teen girls wore shirts and blouses. Women wore one-piece dresses. So whoever said the bodice was probably removed could be right. The edging is period, but a even bottom hem is not. There usually was a 2-3 inch difference between the front and back.