1920s Piano Shawl: Worth Anything???

la vie sur mars

Registered Guest
i found this 1920s piano shawl and i know a vintage buyer who is interested, but before i get ripped off, i wanted to know what it's worth.

the thread's dye has run a bit onto the shawl fabric, there are a few tears, and the fringe has seen better days. i included pictures of all this.

someone help! thank you!!!
IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

There are folks who have sold things like that. Wait a little while and they might be able to give you some pointers considering condition, etc.

For me, I am always nervous about quoting a price when i know someone is interested versus just in general. Sometimes it is just human nature to ask for a higher price in that case. But sometimes an eager buyer in hand that might offer just a bit below optimum, but still comfortable, is preferable to a potential buyer who will offer top dollar but who may or may never materialize.

Chris

From what I can see, this looks like a fragment of a piano shawl to which a binding has been added. Actually it looks like a waistband with apron strings. The embroidery doesn't look hand done and the condition is poor. Personally, I'd stay away from it no matter who was interested in it.

I'm guessing here, but there are probably much better examples out there, even with machine embroidery and not a hand done example that would sell reasonably. Wait for one of those if you can, you'll be much better off!

Thanks for the input, Candy, Tiff, and Alana.

If she already owns this, and was looking to sell to someone that has already expressed an interest in it, what should she be asking?

Chris

That embroidery looks hand-sewn to me - a self-taught embroiderer since I was 9.

Even without a super close-up, I can see some irregularities in the borderlines and the degree of puffiness tells me a machine did not stitch this.

Janine

Condition is everything wih these shawls as poor condition issues (dye runs, shredding and missing fringe) are very common.

I have sold a number of these in the $200 - $450 range if they are in fine, clean, solid condition.Price depends on quality of the shawl, color and motif.

This one is not in good condition. In this condition it is only useful for salvage. If it were mine, I would be very happy to get $50 - $75. if you have not purchased it yet, leave it. If you have a buyer - get what you can out of it now.

Also note that vintagetextile.com is beautiful site, with some of the best items on the internet. It also has some of the highest prices going, because Linda buys only the best and rarest and caters to the advanced collector. Those are not prices you will see on ebay or even manyof the best brick and mortar shops.

Hollis

i live in portland and we have few goodwill's where everything is thrown into big bins and is sold by the pound. my "employment" consists of visiting these bins every morning when they open (along with the other regulars) and digging for vintage and/or trendy clothing which i then sell to local shops or keep for myself. it ends up costing me about $.69/lb.....so basically, this shawl cost me about $.25 ...i would be more than happy to make $50 on it, but anything i get will be profit so i have no worries. i just wanted to make sure it wasn't something special and rare.

Back