1940's Camel-coloured Buckskin Ceremonial Fur Tunic

Emily Wilde

Registered Guest
Hi everyone,

I'm new to VFG and wanted to share photos of a piece I acquired a year ago online from overseas.
It doesn't have a label unfortunately, but it was apparently from a private collection and it is absolutely gorgeous.

I'm thinking of passing it on but am feeling hesitant when it comes to price and how much it is truly worth. I wondered what anyone would think a reasonable price is. I wasn't sure where else to go with this!

A bit of a description:
1940s Camel Buckskin Navajo Ceremonial tunic. From a private collection. Tent shape with raw cut hem, amazing fit. Boat neck with raw genuine fur bib. Bell sleeves with fur and two massive rows of beaded fringe. Leather was reversed to shed snow and water so it's super soft on the inside. Fantastic condition for its age. Heavy in weight.

Thanks so much for your time. I apologise for such little information but that is all I received from the seller and there is obviously no tag or label to suggest where it was crafted. I understand it would be difficult to ask for an opinion on a price while you are only looking at photographs of it but ~ any information or ideas of it's origin is a huge help.

I've added some attachments below with pictures of the garment ~

il_fullxfull.833930618_ktq0.jpg
il_fullxfull.833930614_ewut.jpg
il_fullxfull.833930626_9m83.jpg
il_fullxfull.833930610_bkra.jpg

EW

Hi Emily,

That is quite lovely. Unfortunately we aren't able to assess value here. It might be difficult to find a comparison to that but you could search the completed sold listings on eBay to see if you can find a similar one and see how much it sold for.

Hi Emily,

That is quite lovely. Unfortunately we aren't able to assess value here. It might be difficult to find a comparison to that but you could search the completed sold listings on eBay to see if you can find a similar one and see how much it sold for.

Hi Caryn!

I thought that would be the case - thank you so much for your reply though I'll give it a go :)

EW

if this truly is a piece of Native American clothing, I would recommend doing a bit of research with Native American sources, maybe like this one:

http://www.native-languages.org/clothing.htm

there's a contact and FAQ link at the bottom of that page

Back