1950s dress?

PrimB

Registered Guest
Hello all! First time posting so hopefully this has ended up on the right thread! I've got the most beautiful, timeless, prom style dress but I'm so torn on dating - my instinct and knowledge so far thinks its 1950's or thereabouts, but also don't want to be caught out by a 1980's does 1950s dress! Would love peoples thoughts? No brand or care label, just the label shown in images - I'll attach photos of the dress in all her glory, as well as a few images of the inside seams and label - would be so intrigued what you all think! xx
2024-04-16-AuroraEffieVintage-166.jpg
2024-04-16-AuroraEffieVintage-162.jpg
IMG_5171.jpg
IMG_5172.jpg
IMG_5173.jpg
IMG_5175.jpg

Pretty dress! It is reminiscent of the 50's but I would lean more toward the 80's on this one. The plastic zipper and look of the care tag place it as more recent to me. Also, I would expect a 50's dress of this style to maybe be a little more full in the skirt.

I agree that the label does look more recent, but the absence of care symbols make me wonder if this dress is early/mid 60s. Standardised care symbols were introduced in the UK in 1966, before that care recommendations were text based.

I notice the dress is labelled as a size 14, out of interest what are the underarm to underarm and waist measurements? They may or may not help with dating, but often earlier sizing is considerably smaller (having said that, some 80s dresses can be pretty small too!). Also, can you read the make of the zipper?

I have lots of fancy slips, and ones that are a part of a two-piece dress set, and ones that have been separated but need something else to complete. It depends upon the weight of the fabric for if it's the whole shebang or originally had another layer. I would at least accent with a beautiful wrap.

Back