1960's gold lurex dress???

Aphrodite_Nymphia

Registered Guest
1960\'s gold lurex dress???

Hi everyone,
Me again, have yet to sort the shirtwaister dress, but will keep you posted. My problem of the moment is that I have a 1960's mini dress, cream with metallic silver thread running throught it. Is this lurex or am I totally off the mark. Also when I set it down (my duvert cover is white that is how I noticed) it leaves a red dust, almost like rust behind. Has anyone any idea what might be causing this and how I can deal with it? Also would it be washable or would it have to by dry cleaned. It is in perfect condition except for a fusty smell which I'd really like to get out of it. As always any help, suggestions are greatly appreicated.

Emma.

Is the red dust like a glitter coming off of it or is it dust?

It could very well be lurex, but I think I remember Lin (noir boudoir) perhaps having a fabric with a gold thread running through it that wasn't lurex. When you get a scan of the fabric or a photo, we would be able to discern better as well.

There are two types of lurex. The old type which is actually aluminum and invented after WW2, and the newer type which is plastic and I think it was patented in 1963, if I remember correctly. If its cold to the touch then its the aluminum kind, and most likely is the kind you have because I don't think the plastic lurex was used until the 1970s in clothing, but I am not sure on that.
The red dust is a sizing probably used on a lining of the dress? I had this problem once before with a polyester suit from the late 1960s. It was some kind of sizing that had been used on the lining. I never did figure out what it was but I shook and washed the dress and it just kept coming and coming and coming....

Thanks for your help,
I would put a photo up, but as yet I don't know how. The red dust is definately dust too, not glitter and I think it is coming from the material of the dress, the metal thread especially because if I rub it loads of it comes off, although I may be wrong.

Emma.

Oooh, dust is not good. I can't tell you how many vintage items I've had to put back because of the dreaded mist of dust. In many cases, the dust is deteriorated glue used as bonding in 60's items. I find it often on the inside of bonded wool dresses and coats. I've seen it on items that do not appear to be bonded, and in those cases I am not certain exactly what is the cause, but the material appears to be rotting and I do not believe that it can be fixed.

Glue dust can, in theory, be fixed by totally removing the glue bonding. I have had coats that I turn completely inside out and vacuum for what seems like forever and it will eliminate 95% of the problem. However, there is always just a little more glue in the inaccesible corners of the lining and can't be reached with the vacuum hose.

I have taken to giving garments that appear to be bonded a good, vigorous shake to check for glue dust and that has helped me not take too many dusty pieces home lately.

Thanks Angela,
I hope it is glue and not the material, which otherwise seems to be fine. There is a lining that appears to be bonded to the actual dress. Mind you it is turning out to be a bit of a mystery because there was a lot of dust when I unwrapped it and after I shook it and now there seems to be very little.

Emma.

I once managed to get the glue dust out of a 1960s suit by handwashing it in plain cold water til all of the dust had been rinsed out and the water became clear, but it took ages, and wouldn't be a sensible thing to do with the sorts of fabric that require dry cleaning. My suit is has been fabulously dust free for quite a few years now, works fine without the fabrics being glued together and has been one of my fave office outfits.

love, moons and starrs,
Senti.*

Back