1976 Marimekko Print help

UndoneMrs

Registered Guest
Hi all ! I was shopping a local goodwill and my boyfriend came up to me with a lovely maxi dress and asked if the label was one I knew. Mary Mekko ? he said. My jaw dropped and looked at the labels to much surprise its a 1976 Marimekko, for the Design Research store. Looks never worn! Was wondering if someone could help me with the print description. I see tulips maybe, and my bf sees birds. Hope I can get some feedback !
Many thanks

IMG_2828.JPG

IMG_2830.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

It changes as it gets smaller. Tulip at top but then I see all kinds of different things as it gets larger toward bottom...none of which would be very helpful to you like the hang loose gesture and a robin hood cap! ;)

Amazing find and good luck.

Wow! I live in hope for a find like that. As Nicole says, having a date label is a massive bonus! Well done - and keep the boyfriend!!!!!!!!!! :)

Wow. Finding something from LL Bean at my local goodwill would be considered spectacular.

While looking around on the web for something about this skirt in particular, I found this -

Jackie Kennedy bought eight Marimekko dresses at Design Research. She appeared in a Marimekko sundress on the cover of Sports Illustrated with her husband, President JFK. The cover and Jackie's glamour brought the excitement of haute couture to Marimekko, which in Finish means "Mary's little dress."

Here is the cover - not what I expected at all! Apparently she was widely criticized for buying couture, out of reach for most American women, so she bought eight simple inexpensive dresses from an unknown design line at the time...Marimekko -

6a00e5508eeadd883401156f88c509970c-320wi.jpg

Does the copyright 1976 really mean that the dress was made in 1976 - or is that when the company first copyrighted their name? If its the latter couldn't the dress be newer? Just wondering...the label looks new to me..

I believe the date is the actual date. Reviewing our label resource, as written by FuzzyLizzie, we see that Design Research closed in the mid 70s.
The label and skirt are both so pristine, that they appear as if they were only just made, even though the skirt is vintage.

"Marimekko is a Finnish company, founded in 1951 by Armi and Viljo Ratia. At the suggestion of designer Riitta Immonen, the Ratis's, who were manufacturing boldly printed fabric, began making dresses from the fabric. The first dresses were designed by Immonen.

Marimekko is famous for their brightly printed textiles – large abstracts and floral fabrics used for home décor and made into simple clothing and handbags. In 1954, their copyrighted logo was created. The company is still in business.

The second label is a Design Research label. Design Research was the American representative for Marimekko at the time. Design Research was based at Harvard University, and the head of the group was Benjamin Thompson, the head of Harvard's Department of Architecture. The group's original aim when it was formed in 1953 was to introduce better design into home furnishings. Clothing was added to their mission in 1963. Design Research closed in the mid 1970s."

Wow, what a great find!!! I have been to Helsinki some 6 times and am a huge Marimekko fan. I don't have a lot of their clothes, but I've bought loads of fabric there for both me and my mom and have some self-made clothes out of it. Because that's the beauty about Marimekko - they don't only have the clothes and all the (household) accessories with their prints, but you can also buy just the fabrics!
I've done a little bit of searching around, and that pattern is not one that's currently in use, and it's not by Maija Isola (who's respondible for the famous "Unikko" poppies-print), as I have a book on her and all her Marimekko designs are in there. But you could of course try to contact Marimekko and see what they could say about it.
Is there no mention about a designer's name on any one of the labels or somewhere on the fabric on the inside? On their fabric, the designer's name and copyright year is always printed on a small white strip on one side - they always mention their designers from what I know. Theoretically, the copyright year could also related to the fabric design, and not just to the dress per se.

Karin

Wow many thanks for all the response ! I'm glad I had something interesting to share ! Yes, I think the 1976 copyright is for the print, though Marimekko probably used their most recent fabrics for their clothing collections. I turned the dress inside out to try and find an artist name, but came up empty. The only tags are the ones I photo'd.

I am no expert on Merrimekko, but I do believe that is in fact a 1976 dress.

I have seen newer items that have a different label and no date tag at all.

FWIW, I also have a shirt that has that 1976 label and it is a 1976 piece.

Back