1990's Cashmere/Wool Women's Car Coat - Possible Fake Saks Label?

rachel.mills2332

Registered Guest
Hello,

Yesterday I bought what I believe to be a women's car coat from the the late 1980's to the early 1990's based on the ILGWU Union Label and the Saks Fifth Avenue Label. I believe the coat is cashmere because it is soft but it could also be a blend or just wool, however there is no label showing what it is made of.

After countless hours of trying to find a similar style coat online using the photo recognition, I was unable to find anything similar. After coming up empty, I started to question the Saks label because it is stitched on the inside of the coat vertically and in all the pictures I've seen of the 1990's label, it is usually stitched horizontally.

Does anyone know if Saks sold coats with their label stitched vertically?

I've attached some pictures, if anyone has any info that they can share, I would greatly appreciate it!

Kind Regards,
Rachel

Attachments

• IMG_6432.jpeg
    IMG_6432.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6415 (1).jpeg
    IMG_6415 (1).jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6423.jpeg
    IMG_6423.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6413.jpeg
    IMG_6413.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6419.jpeg
    IMG_6419.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 40
Hi Rachel,

I concur that the fabric appears to be cashmere but I would expect a coat of this age to include a fabric content (and other types of) label. I will note that pure cashmere is rare from this age, and is usually mixed with cheaper fibres, but Saks of course is a good brand so tends towards the high quality we see here.

There are many reasons why a label might be taken off, or moved as you see here. It brings authenticity into question but without additional evidence, it's difficult to know. Maybe search Saks adverts for the time?

Nicole

Hi Rachel,

I concur that the fabric appears to be cashmere but I would expect a coat of this age to include a fabric content (and other types of) label. I will note that pure cashmere is rare from this age, and is usually mixed with cheaper fibres, but Saks of course is a good brand so tends towards the high quality we see here.

There are many reasons why a label might be taken off, or moved as you see here. It brings authenticity into question but without additional evidence, it's difficult to know. Maybe search Saks adverts for the time?

Nicole
Ok, Thank you!

Back