20s beaded jacket questions

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by plousia, Aug 30, 2024.

1. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Thrift stores can indeed be amazing places, continuing on the theme from the Adrian thread - found this yesterday for $3 :-D

I am wondering if this fabric would be considered a chiffon. It's kind of looser or more open than what I think of chiffon being, almost like a net.

How would people describe the shape of the body? I think of "scalloped", but that doesn't seem quite right. It looks very "art deco-y", but that's not really a description.

What might the sleeve shape be called? It doesn't quite seem to be a bell or a flare, although it does kind of flare out at the end and is longer on the outside than the inside. It looks like it might extend over the hand when wearing (I haven't dared try it on).

Any other tips/thoughts welcome. Trying to figure out how to describe this.

Attached Files:

Shusteroo likes this.
  2. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Hi, lovely jacket and great find for $3. I'm wondering if the fabric might be considered tulle? I'll be interested what others say, as I have a beaded jacket with similar sheer material.

I like the sleeves, I'd describe them as slightly flared. I might also say 'subtle hi-low curved sleeve edge/cuff', but I often think of hi-low as being a bit more dramatic, and have a feeling there may well be a better term.

I notice on the last photo, there appears to be a label at the neckline - from what I can see it says 'Made in....' - could you show a photo of the label? And are there any other labels?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2024
  3. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Yes, here's the label; no other labels. The beads appear to be mother of pearl and glass. It's in remarkably good condition except for a few areas of missing beading on the right underarm.

Attached Files:

retro ruth likes this.
  4. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Tulle also occurred to me, or net, or mesh, although I think mesh would be more open.