30s 40s fabric- thoughts on ethics of old fabric use

Anna Evans

Registered Guest
I have just sold a bolt of pristine art deco floral printed fabric 2 yards long. It's only dawned on me that the buyer intends to use it to make face masks for selling commercially. I feel terrible as I was hoping this beautiful fabric would be used for something larger and more enduring. I realise I have no rights to dictate the purpose of an item once it's sold, but it seems a pity to cut such a large piece into such small segments when it has survived this long.
I thought I would canvas some feedback from experienced traders on this subject
Thanks in advance

I understand your feelings on this. I would feel the same way, but once the item leaves our hands what can we do. All I can think of is that we could add a sentence when describing that we would hope this would be purposed to create a garment using the genuine fabric of that time using an old pattern from that same time frame.

Thankyou Mary Jane. I haven't sent the fabric yet. Perhaps I could scan the print & that might make me feel better. I would actually rather loose the sale than think of it being cut up. I'll have a think about phrasing for future listings. I had a girl asking about fabrics with plans to make shirts/blouses. I'd so much rather sell to dressmakers so that the design will endure.

Understood, it saddens those of us who respect our vintage pieces including the fabrics to know they will be cut up and not put to the best use.
Masks are definitely very important these days but one would hope there are newer fabrics available to those who want to create them.

I would be distressed about that use for a piece of truly vintage fabric as well.

Given that face masks are supposed to be machine washed frequently, perhaps you can make a case for better longevity with a modern piece of quilting fabric?

Oh my goodness I would definitely be having the same feelings as you. It is true that it is not up to us to judge what the new owner does with her fabric but to cut up a piece of history to make it into masks (which are already abundant) makes me squirm!

I have a 5 yard piece of pure silk eyelet from what I believe to be the 40s and I can’t even bear to cut into it to make a dress! So meanwhile she stays in her original packaging in storage.

The suggestions shared are such good ones, I really hope that your purchaser rethinks the use of this fabric. Good luck!

Oh my goodness I would definitely be having the same feelings as you. It is true that it is not up to us to judge what the new owner does with her fabric but to cut up a piece of history to make it into masks (which are already abundant) makes me squirm!

I have a 5 yard piece of pure silk eyelet from what I believe to be the 40s and I can’t even bear to cut into it to make a dress! So meanwhile she stays in her original packaging in storage.

The suggestions shared are such good ones, I really hope that your purchaser rethinks the use of this fabric. Good luck!
Thankyou Victoria! I am going to re-word my fabric listings & gently suggest they go to vintage collectors or dressmakers. No harm in reminding people that these materials are rare & may be the last remaining example of a kind! I know that queasy feeling only too well. Good luck with your lovely dress fabric. That's a noble use for it.

If you don't mind losing the sale maybe you could send the buyer a little message before you send the fabric off to its doom. Perhaps.... " It just occurred to me that you might be planning on using this fabric to make masks with. I realize now the listing didn't include care of this fabric but its a delicate one and washing is not recommended. As thorough and regular washing is imperative for masks I will happily refund you so that you may be able to purchase a fabric that is more up to the task". I may have gone a little overboard there but at least there would be a chance she sees the error of her purchase and takes you up on the offer so can fulfill its destiny as a beautiful dress one day

If you don't mind losing the sale maybe you could send the buyer a little message before you send the fabric off to its doom. Perhaps.... " It just occurred to me that you might be planning on using this fabric to make masks with. I realize now the listing didn't include care of this fabric but its a delicate one and washing is not recommended. As thorough and regular washing is imperative for masks I will happily refund you so that you may be able to purchase a fabric that is more up to the task". I may have gone a little overboard there but at least there would be a chance she sees the error of her purchase and takes you up on the offer so can fulfill its destiny as a beautiful dress one day
Good call! Thankyou! I am going to be honest & honour the sale (although I would much rather pretend I can't find it!) and send a carefully worded message based on all of your excellent advice. I'm very grateful to all of you. Many thanks, as ever.

Back