40s floral cotton blouse

plousia

Registered Guest
I was so pleased to find this handmade 40s floral cotton blouse. It's a bit faded but otherwise in perfect condition. It's another "failure", i.e. a keeper. Just right for this time of year.

Attachments

• IMG_9000.jpg
    IMG_9000.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_9001.jpg
    IMG_9001.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9003.jpg
    IMG_9003.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_9004.jpg
    IMG_9004.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_8999.jpg
    IMG_8999.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 109
I know what you mean, and I have an 80s blouse which is very similar. But I'm quite sure this one is older, based on inner construction, style, button style, and the amount of fading. Burn test indicates only cotton.

True, a lot of them are, but the Commercial Pattern Archive shows quite a few with a boxy cut, e.g. https://copa.apps.uri.edu/garment.php?patID=47500 and https://copa.apps.uri.edu/garment.php?patID=20542. Frustratingly 40s patterns tend too show blouses tucked in so it's hard to tell what's happening with the waist, but you can tell if you click through and look at the pattern pieces. A lot of them have no or little waist.

I don't know, going to thrift stores as much as I do you come across a lot of 80s blouses, and this just feels different. The seaming is all straight machine and hand sewn, no pinking, serging or even zigzag. It's quite faded along the edges and under the arms. Hard to tell from photos but this just has the feel of a lot older than 80s, although of course a lot of 40s design patterns got repeated in the 80s and I can certainly see why some would think it's 80s, I thought so too at first glance.

Even wearing it, it looks different (maybe doesn't show so well on the dress form). If I'm wrong, no big deal as I am keeping it. Though of course I need to know so I don't misrepresent a similar garment when selling.

True, a lot of them are, but the Commercial Pattern Archive shows quite a few with a boxy cut, e.g. https://copa.apps.uri.edu/garment.php?patID=47500 and https://copa.apps.uri.edu/garment.php?patID=20542. Frustratingly 40s patterns tend too show blouses tucked in so it's hard to tell what's happening with the waist, but you can tell if you click through and look at the pattern pieces. A lot of them have no or little waist.

I don't know, going to thrift stores as much as I do you come across a lot of 80s blouses, and this just feels different. The seaming is all straight machine and hand sewn, no pinking, serging or even zigzag. It's quite faded along the edges and under the arms. Hard to tell from photos but this just has the feel of a lot older than 80s, although of course a lot of 40s design patterns got repeated in the 80s and I can certainly see why some would think it's 80s, I thought so too at first glance.

Even wearing it, it looks different (maybe doesn't show so well on the dress form). If I'm wrong, no big deal as I am keeping it. Though of course I need to know so I don't misrepresent a similar garment when selling.
Would you happen to have a photo of the interior seams and finishing?

Last edited:
Here's a bunch of pics of the interior seaming and construction. I think the buttonholes may be done by hand, not sure.

Can't convince anyone, I'm still quite certain it's earlier, but if anyone has a definitive reason why it's 80s I'd love to know. I've seen a lot of similar florals and colour schemes online on 40s garments, in fact it's pretty much the same colour scheme as a 40s dress I have, just larger-scale.

Attachments

• IMG_9006.jpg
    IMG_9006.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9007.jpg
    IMG_9007.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_9008.jpg
    IMG_9008.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_9009.jpg
    IMG_9009.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9010.jpg
    IMG_9010.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9011.jpg
    IMG_9011.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9012.jpg
    IMG_9012.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9013.jpg
    IMG_9013.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9014.jpg
    IMG_9014.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9015.jpg
    IMG_9015.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9016.jpg
    IMG_9016.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 81
OK to try to solve this I found some thread to do a burn test on and the thread is synthetic, which I guess places it later? Sigh. Why is this so confusing sometimes?!

Oh no the fabric isn't a synthetic, it is cotton. The sewing thread is synthetic.

For my education, do you mind kindly explaining what it is that indicates 80s in the construction? To me, the sewing techniques were what made me think it was older. As it is only straight machine and hand sewing.

Oh no the fabric isn't a synthetic, it is cotton. The sewing thread is synthetic.

For my education, do you mind kindly explaining what it is that indicates 80s in the construction? To me, the sewing techniques were what made me think it was older. As it is only straight machine and hand sewing.
Actually that type of serging I see is more recent than 40s, same with the construction of the garment... the facing pieces in particular and not a finished French seam which was popular in many of the 40s blouses. I would go with 1980s on this.

Actually that type of serging I see is more recent than 40s, same with the construction of the garment... the facing pieces in particular and not a finished French seam which was popular in many of the 40s blouses. I would go with 1980s on this.

Thanks. The serging is hand done, not machine; is it still more recent than 40s? (The stitch I mean, not the blouse). I found that stitch particularly interesting as I'd never seen it before. (I should say, it appears to be hand sewn; it doesn't look even enough to be done by machine and it doesn't look like any serging I've ever seen before).

Last edited:
Here's a couple more pics of the "serging" showing how uneven it is. Does anyone know what this stitch is called? I tried searching for it but haven't found anything that looks quite like it.

Attachments

• IMG_9017.jpg
    IMG_9017.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9018.jpg
    IMG_9018.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 68
OK, now I'm totally confused.

I recently found a couple other handmade blouses that I am pretty sure are 40s. To compare I did a burn test on some of the sewing thread from this one, and it also tests as synthetic (melted into a little hard blob).

Was there synthetic thread in the 40s? Or am I wrong about this blouse as well? Everything about it seems right for what I know of the era, but now I'm really confused.

Attachments

• IMG_8620.jpg
    IMG_8620.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 70
Sorry but I too think that all three blouses are from the 1980s (the embroidered one is so pretty). To me the fabrics, patterns and styles just shout out 80s - I wore styles just like them at the time.

Back