40s rayon crepe dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by plousia, Jul 1, 2024 at 10:36 AM.

1. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

I was super stoked to find this dress this past weekend. I've never found a 40s dress before, and it fits me to boot, which feels slightly miraculous (actually it's a bit too large, but better than too small). It's in surprisingly good condition, with only a few minor issues. It really amused me to find some original vintage tape (as in the Scotch tape kind) on the hem where it is coming undone and apparently the owner did a quick fix and never went back to sew it properly.

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Beautiful! Lucky you!

Two words of advice: Do not wash it! Rayon crepe shrinks, so it needs to be dry cleaned. I'd also remove the buttons for cleaning, then sew them back on, because rhinestones can fall out in cleaning.

plousia likes this.
  4. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Oh thanks so much. I will take your advice. I'm slightly tempted to see if shrinking it would make it fit perfectly (just kidding!) It smells clean, so I'll leave it alone unless/until I wear it. There already are a few button rhinestones missing.

5. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Oh no, this made me recall that I washed the 30s rayon crepe blouse I posted here before and I tried it on AND IT HAS SHRUNKshock emoti help help, is there anything I can do??

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Wellll, you can try a technique I've used on shrunken wool sweaters: Add some hair conditioner to a bucket or sink of cool water and let the blouse soak it up for a short while, then remove it and gently stretch the fabric as it dries. Can't guarantee this!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  7. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Thanks, I'll try it. Can't hurt. I wonder if steaming might also help?

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Lovely dress and lucky that it fits too!

plousia likes this.
  9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Steaming might help slightly, but you won't get it back to the size it was.

10. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Tears....well at least I can still get it on....maybe the treatments will at least make it presentable. Live and learn, though this isn't one I would have wanted to learn on!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  11. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

You can find replacement rhinestones off junk jewelry, vintage, and perk up those buttons.

denisebrain, MagsRags and plousia like this.
  12. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Well I tried steaming the blouse and actually it's either worked or it just appeared to have shrunk because it was crumpled. I kind of wonder if it had already been washed and shrunk. In any case, I won't be doing that again.

Retro Ruth and MagsRags like this.