70s or 80s woolen coat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Silas, Jul 15, 2024.

1. Silas

Silas Registered Guest

I am curious if anyone can narrow this down to a single decade or has any interesting knowledge/ fun facts about the coat (Aka feel free to dump some interesting information on me).

Description: Ruff wool with specks of bright colours woven into the wool, hood is lined with a softer wool that appears nowhere else on the garment, the collar has a clasp-like button on either side, the shoulder and cuff buttons are not functional (no button hole), the coat has two belt loops and a band that goes through it (same wool as the majority of the garment), and two pockets in line with the sleaves.

Image11111111111111.jpeg 2222222222222222222.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Looks 1970s by those labels.

3. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. Retro Ruth

I suppose it could be early 80s.

But 5% other fibres - there was a time when being so non specific about a fibre was acceptable, and then later that wouldn't have been allowed. I don't know exactly when that changed, but I'm not sure I've seen that on 80s garments much. Similarly Made In Great Britain points towards earlier than later, in the 70s-80s timeline.

The shape of coat looks more 70s to me.

Andrii likes this.
  6. Retro Ruth

Yes, the HLCC system included the (P) from 1976. However I'm not sure that means it was never used before 1976 in the UK. It was definitely in use earlier in Europe - the Netherlands registered it from at least 1960, so it wasn't invented by HLCC, and I wonder if their system was standardisation of existing practices.

7. The label is missing the fifth care symbol, the drying symbol, which was supposedly introduced in 1980.

8. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

It was used in Europe, you’re right. However Britain had it’s own system since 1966. I’ve come across a lot of British vintage and from my experience they never used a (p) symbol on their earlier (circa 1966) care labels until the 1976 style change. More so, pre-1976 care label had a single symbol only - a wash tub.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
  9. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

In my experience this fifth symbol was often missing on early 1980s goods. So it doesn’t necessarily mean this coat is from the 1970s. I would say it is 70s style but probably was made in the early to mid 1980s

10. Retro Ruth

Mid 80s in the UK.

11. Olin Davis

Olin Davis Registered Guest

I Thing this is 100% Woolen coat.

12. The label clearly states 90% wool, 5% nylon, 5% other fibres.

When the owner asked "70s or 80s", they were referring to the decades... 1970s or 1980s.