A forgotten fashion designer for Jackie O. gets her due

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Ranch Queen Vintage, Sep 9, 2023.

1. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Anne Lowe is the subject of a museum exhibit in Delaware.
    Article from the Washington Post

2. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

What a talented lady! It’s mind-boggling that she designed for such famous people and didn’t get the recognition she deserved. It really highlights the ignorance of those times.

Jackie O had such taste, she obviously recognised talent when she saw it. What a shame that the reporter, who praised the dress, didn’t have the common decency to mention by name the designer who made it! Anne was chosen to make the dress, by one of the most stylish women of the era… that in itself speaks volumes.

It’s sad that Anne she lost her eyesight in later life, but I’m glad she’s getting some recognition for her work now… even if it is half a century too late. Thanks for sharing.

denisebrain likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Jackie Kennedy didn't actually like her wedding dress, Joseph Kennedy had commissioned Anne Lowe make it. I can't remember why now - there was a whole research paper done on the subject hat I read a while back... The wedding dress was far too fussy and frilly for Jackie's stripped down modernist tastes. Anne Lowe's fashion style was strong in surface decoration, not architectural simplicity.

There were thousands and thousands of dressmakers of the caliber of Anne Lowe who remain unknown and unrecognized today. To reach fame you had to either design for a brand, or have phenomenal talent, connections, and luck to become known like Valentina or Mainbocher... they were few and far between the many Lowes who were excellent seamstresses, but worked for a social circle of private clients in cities all over the world.

Vintagiality and plousia like this.