Advice needed: Traina Norell Parasol & Dress Sample: Collector vs. museum?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by victoryvtg, Jan 31, 2021.

1. victoryvtg

victoryvtg Registered Guest

Hi all,

I was incredibly lucky enough last year to come across a traina norell set from the 40s - 50s. It is not documented, and I have pursued documentation but haven't (yet) come across anything. i am wondering if this is something I should give to a museum. It is signed Traina-Norell on an affixed sample label. I believe It is a designer sample , and it is complete, but missing some non-structural parts that are possibly repairable, in need of very very significant repair and restoration. No shattering, or siginifacnt structural issues, damage.

I was also approached, by someone who says they are potentially interested in buying, but I have no idea of value.

It is like this one at the Met, second link is as their set is in separate pages": https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/174368

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/colle...man+norell&offset=0&rpp=20&pos=12

Photo is a snapshot of mine =)

Attached Files:

Midge likes this.
  2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

If the repair and restoration needed is significant, that is a deterrent to most museums due to the cost of the work. Do you have the provenance? Do you have the parasol? Those things might make it more attractive to a collection. It will just depend on a collection needing a lovely day dress by Norman Norell and if they have the time and funds to to the work.

As to current values, we can't give appraisals here, so what I would suggest is looking at auction sites such as Ebay, Live Auctioneers , Karen Augusta, Whitaker's, etc. and checking prices realized for Traina-Norell day dresses in the last 5 years or so. Remember, condition issues can lower the value a great deal, depending on the issue.

But really, it's up to you. Norman Norell was a top designer in his day, but not one known as much now. His evening gowns and big statement dresses and coats do much better at auction than his day dresses.

3. victoryvtg

victoryvtg Registered Guest

thank you! and thank you for the suggestion. I do have the parasol. What do you mean by "provenance"? I have what the seller (of the dress and parasol) has told me, but tried pursuing something written or photographed and there was nothing, apparently. Google hasn't come up with anything, either.

The main damage i was referring is that approx 10 decorations are missing! Would it be better to replace them by getting some fabric from the hem, or leaving the hem as is? there is nothing wrong with it (the hem).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Can you post photos of the entire dress and close ups of the damage.

5. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Provenance is like a family tree. If the person who sold it it you told you it originally came from Mrs Jones in a nearby wealthy neighborhood, and that in the 1950s and 60s, Mrs Jones shopped in high end NY establishments, that would be hearsay provenance. If there were newspaper photos of Mrs Jones wearing designer clothing, that would add credibility. Occasionally, an original receipt accompanies a piece, or a period photo. That’s the best of all.

OTHO if the seller found it at a rummage sale, that doesn’t give much in the way of clues.

Vinclothes likes this.