Alison Ayers Block Print Dress Burlap?

*~Eli!

Registered Guest
Uhhh... this IS burlap right? I mean, it feels like burlap. But might you call it something different?
DSC05393.JPG
DSC05394.JPG

Attachments

• DSC05378.JPG
    DSC05378.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 241
I agree it looks like a basket weave. I would describe the fabric as "hopsacking" a rough-surfaced loosely woven clothing fabric. cotton, wool, linen, rayon, silk, hemp, jute. Basket weave. Made with coarse yarn. Has a rather rough texture and quite durable. Often quite bulky but various weight." This definition is from TextileGlossary.com

Thank you.

I have a few similar dresses. The others seem to be like hopsacking / linen. One has a label and it is a flax /rayon blend. This one actually feels like burlap. The weave is a basket weave but its thick and primitive. I mean it LOOKS and feels like burlap. It is very coarse. I think the best way to describe it though is hopsacking or linen. I just wanted to know if there was a fabric I somehow did not find or missed in all of my research.

Thanks

Eli-
Marian and I are both saying the same thing. Fabric and fiber are different. When you describe the material (fabric) that your dress is made from you need to name both the "weave" or construction of the "fabric" and the "fiber" that it is made from. Linen, rayon, cotton, and flax, etc. are fibers; burlap, hopsacking, chintz, and velvet, etc. are fabrics.

I would be careful not to call this block print either - as the first photo shows two different coloured pieces that are seamed together, not printed on the same fabric. You could still call it block colour though.

Back