Any shoe experts out there? Need era.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bluevelvetvintage, May 5, 2004.

1. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Found these funky burgundy red shoes and I'm wondering what era they're from. Insoles are missing and inside of shoe says "split leather lining, vinyl sock"(whatever that means!).I'm not too good with shoe terms! I kind of like them, though, and they fit me. Thought they might make cool dancin' shoes!

TheresaBlue Velvet Vintage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. latebloomers

latebloomers Registered Guest

Do we have shoe experts?!! Why yes, yes we do!

Sadly I am not one of them, lol.

I will however venture a guess of early 40's, but I am probably way wrong.

Jonathan, our resident shoe guru, should be around shortly.

3. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I was going to say 40s too, but the vinyl sock doesn't sound right for that era....alas, like Timber, I am
    shoe challenged. Jonathan will surely see this posting and
    will be able to give you the day and month they were made.

Sue

4. artisannes

artisannes VFG Member VFG Past President

There is something about the stitching on the sole that makes me think they are later than 40's - but Jonathan will know cos he knows his shoes.

5. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

I know I had a pair of shoes with that sort of sole... oh my brain is at a loss.

I have a feeling these were matronly style shoes and might be alot later than 40's and made for the much older woman. I want to say 60's. Jonathan is like a shoe God so let him weigh in to be sure - but I like to test myself before he does by guessing. hehehe!

I think they're fabulous - that cherry red is awesome!

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I will chime in with an older style remniscnent of the 40s, but made in the late 50s or early 60s -

Hollis

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Okay... well, here I am, although I noticed from the 80s slouch boot question on the member's board that there are other shoe experts around here too!

First of all a split leather means that the cowhide has been split into two full hides, resulting in a hide with a smooth finish and a suede opposite side and another complete hide with two sueded sides. This is a way to create a more supple leather, something that is still strong, but not as thick as a full hide. The sock is the proper shoemaker's term for what many refer to as the insole. The sock is a cosmetic addition placed on the inside of the sole, often just glued down over the insole and sometimes printed with the maker's name. That type of sole is called a stitchdown sole - not suitable for wear outside where dampness can travel through the stitches, but fine for indoor wear, which is why you often see this type of construction on bowling shoes and slippers.
    As for a date, I think Hollis is correct. This is a later example of a 40s style shoe, and I think quite late, probably early 1970s.

8. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Great information Jonathan. You sure do know about shoes! The front of the shoes looked 40's but the heels were throwing me off. Now I know why. Do think they're real cute, though, and am going to try dancing in them Saturday night!

9. dibs2002

dibs2002 Registered Guest

I was gonna say bowling shoes ;-)

Ok now Jonathan - why do some riding boots have a stitched sole? Riding boots are obviously meant to be worn outside, sometimes in VERY damp conditions if you get my drift... you never know what you might step in.

:P

Deb

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I don't know Deb. I have never met a riding boot that had a stitched sole. Are they cheaper? Any good ENglish riding boot I have ever seen has a turned sole, although sometimes you get boots with stitchdown soles, but the stitches are on the outside edge of the sole, not inside where dampness can permeate to the foot. Otherwise, my only other suggestion is that presumabely you are riding, and thus not getting your feet wet, and theoretically the boots are cleaned promptly after removal. Otherwise, I can't answer your question.

11. b*a*vintagequeen

b*a*vintagequeen Registered Guest

Funny..I was also thinking bowling shoes on my first look!