Are they suppose to represent knitting needles?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by David Gilpin, Aug 27, 2024.

1. David Gilpin

David Gilpin Registered Guest

Does anyone know what the large crossed lines mean in the older Kangol label logo?

2. retro ruth

retro ruth Administrator Staff Member

I ve never thought they mean anything, just a geometric design. I suppose it’s possible they are meant to suggest knitting needles

3. David Gilpin

They show up on my new Kangol jacket (bought in Korea) on the front and sleeve.
    upload_2024-8-28_9-43-36.png upload_2024-8-28_9-44-17.png

4. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

they look like chopsticks

retro ruth likes this.
  5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I never found a definitive answer for you, but...

-- there was an earlier logo (which I forgot to copy) that was simply the word Kangol and two lines dividing the label into four unequal segments, similar to the 1948 one below, but more pronounced

-- it looks like the things you call knitting needles evolved from those two lines dividing the logo as you can see in the 1948 and 1996 logos below

-- note the logo description as "figurative"

-- note the comment about the word Kangol not having anything to do with knitting

KangolLogo.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2024
  6. retro ruth

Those don't look like knitting needles. If they are meant to be knitting needles, it has been designed by someone who doesn't know what knitting needles really look like. Knitting needles don't taper from one end to the other.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2024
    plousia likes this.
  7. David Gilpin

FYI: Many other Kangol hat websites claim the K is for knitting.

8. David Gilpin

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Having just had to change my credit cards AGAIN, for the thousandth time, I won't click on links, as you offered above, but I searched again quickly and I see that the Wikipedia quote I added before was incorrect, as I found this little thing on the Kangol.com website...

FromKangol.jpg

10. retro ruth

Oh interesting! And unlike the recent one, those look like knitting needles.