Beautiful Ensemble! 30’s? Handmade Gown

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by IM_Jme, Aug 3, 2024.

1. IM_Jme

IM_Jme Registered Guest

I found this at a local Charity Thrift shop and couldn’t scoop it up fast enough. It is gorgeous. Is this 30’s? Fabric is heavier gabardine type? Maybe rayon? Machine sewn seams. Self interfaced. Hand finished all around- Hand hemmed - hand stitched detailed. absolutely no tags. When my sister first saw it she said “oh, maybe it’s 70’s does 30/40’s”. What do you think? All help appreciated. IMG_2973.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

That is lovely!!

It could be a later sewist working with a 30s pattern - if so, nice job! My main qualm are the trapunto flowers - how are the edges stitched? It looks like it might be serging, which suggest a later date.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Gorgeous! What a color! It does look like 30s to me.

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It looks right for 1930s to me also. Fabulous color!

5. 30s and lovely! The color is so pretty. Great find!

6. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

What an incredible thrift store find. So beautiful.

7. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Wonderful! I love the colour, the ruched puff sleeves and the folds of the jacket. It looks 30s to me too. As Maggie mentioned, it is possible it may have been made from a 30s pattern at a later date, so close-ups of the stitching on the flowers/inside may help determine the date. Either way, it's stunning. What a great find.

IM_Jme and MagsRags like this.
  8. IM_Jme

IM_Jme Registered Guest

Here is a close up of two of the flowers on the Belt. The front of one and the back of another. I have never used a serger but this does not look like other serged pieces I have seen —- but I don’t know. The construction of the jacket is shown in the last photo above and here. IMG_3020.jpeg

Attached Files:

9. IM_Jme

IM_Jme Registered Guest

Posted close-ups. Thank you all for the help.

10. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I agree. The stitching reminds me of buttonholes - the sewist might have adapted some sort of buttonhole attachment for her/his sewing machine.