Can anyone date this Sears label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sara L, Aug 7, 2024.

1. Sara L

Sara L Registered Guest

I read through the label resource for Sears and couldn’t quite match this tag. I thrifted a vintage leather jacket this week and I’m so curious to know roughly what year it may be from. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

As Donna requested, a full length image of the garment will help us confirm a date. From what I can see however - color and finish, quilted lining, and the style of the label itself, I'm going to guess 1970s.

I've never seen a Sears label with French text! With your permission, we'd love to add it to out Label Resource! Just let me know how you'd like to be credited.

3. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

It's Canadian, also indicated by the coloured care symbols which Jonathan has said were in use here from about 1973-1993. I have seen this type of Sears label many times in thrift stores here, though not sure if I've seen this exact one.

4. Sara L

Sara L Registered Guest

Here are some more photos, thank you!

Attached Files:

5. Sara L

Sara L Registered Guest

Here’s a full look of the garment

Attached Files:

6. Sara L

Sara L Registered Guest

Absolutely! Feel free to add it. Just my username is credit enough :)

Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  7. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Looks late 70s to me.

8. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

Late 70s to early 80s.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It has the coloured code for care instructions which was used in Canada between c. 1973 and 1993, and its called 'Sears' rather than 'Simpson's Sears' which is what the Canadian Sears was called after the American buy-out in 1978, so it is no earlier than 1978, and judging by the style, with its short length and tight midriff to show off the butt in tight jeans... I wouldn't put it much pass 1980, although Sears tends to be a safe year behind leading fashion, so maybe 1981ish at the latest - after that the jacket would be more bloused, and more likely black - brown leather coats and jackets disappear by the early 1980s because of punk influence.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2024