Can you please help me decoding my vintage Chanel dress? IWhich year does the Collection 4 belongs ?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Isabel Ventura, Sep 5, 2024.

1. Isabel Ventura

Isabel Ventura Registered Guest

Hi, Vintage Fashion Guild girls
    I’m a new member. My “thing” always have been Chanel earrings. But now, since I’m on a “Chanel vintage earrings “detox”” because I promised myself I would buy more (I have almost 80 pairs…) I got in love with this little midi black 100% silk dress I purchased online.
    It’s so well tailored and when you dress it on you feel the “Chanel style thunder “ hitting on you! I’m so in love with it that I just want to know more about it. Year of production, Season, if it is a rare finding or not that much…, But deciding this handwriting Chanel Boutique labels is almost “ rocket science”! I think it might be from the early 80’s after Karl Lagerfeld was in charge of Chanel as creative director, but at the same time, it “feels” so Coco Chanel?!?
    Hope you experts can help me enlightening my doubts concerning which year and season my dress might belong to.
    All information is welcomed.
    Sincerely
    Isabel Ventura

PS - I’m posting photos is tbd dress and its label (let’s se if I can do it and don’t mess with it… )

PS - The upper neck button at the back was missing. I’m replacing it by a beautiful original Chanel one I have, that perfectly suits it.

Attached Files:

2. Isabel Ventura

Just forgot to upload the Tag photo. Here is what the label says:
    Chanel Boutique
    Collection: 4
    Style: 23202 (or 232021, I font know if that is a long 2 leg or a number 1 after the final 2…)
    At the back is stamped a code: DAN 33583

Thank you .

Attached Files:

3. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

The style of the dress is very 90s - much in the style of Tadashi. I think that barcode sticker has more to do with the reseller's inventory than Chanel. By looking at the dress alone, I would place as mid - late 90s. I'm not sure what other info can be culled from the Chanel label, for more specific dating. We have some members who may know further!

4. I'm not a Chanel expert but I did have an almost identical dress, bought from a local designer in 1991. It was the perfect cocktail dress and I loved it. I also recall that those style of logo buttons became really big in the '90s.

I hope you manage to pin a date down, it's a lovely dress.

Nicole

5. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Lovely dress, very classic and elegant!

A lot of the 90s Chanel Boutique labels I've found online are printed, so I think your dress could be 80s or very early 90s. I found a handwritten label, very similar to yours, with a five figure format which also started with a 2 - unfortunately though, the date range entered was '19th century', so that was no help at all with actually dating!

UPDATE: Right after posting, I found a runway 1992 boutique label, handwritten like yours, with a five digit number, starting with 2 - so at least that that does tie in with that it could be very early 90s.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2024
  6. Isabel Ventura

Thank you so much. You were all very kind and helpful. Still on searching for some more info about this dress. Now I have some enlightening from you.
    Best regards,
    Isabel Ventura