Catalina A California Creator Styled for the Stars of Hollywood

Geri Golden

Registered Guest
Greetings. I have this beautiful Catalina Shirt Made In Canada by Silknit. My research brings me to the Silknit factory which was part of Dominion Woollens in Cambridge, Ontario Canada. It is my understanding that Catalina was an American label and this shirt has me stumped on its age and origin. Any information would be greatly appreciated. The fabric of this shirt is I believe a silk crepe....it has a heavier weight than just rayon or silk likely because of the weave. Silknit made womens clothing of which I mostly found lingerie in various fabrics in the 60s. Many of the woollen mills in Canada made uniforms for the war. Your knowledge will be most interesting. Thank you

P1010001.JPG P1010005.JPG P1010010.JPG

@Geri Golden - If you check the Catalina entry in our Label Resource, you'll see this label dated to the 1940s. That particular label is mine, from this pair of girl's swim trunks in the "Bali Isle" series designed by Mary Ann DeWeese. Thanks to the ads featuring this design, I was able to date it to 1944.

I cannot tell much about the shirt fabric from the photo here, but the cut and collar certainly look '40s to me.

We don't have your label in the Label Resource and would love to add it. Would you grant us permission to do so?

il_1588xN.1260134205_5l8h.jpg
il_1588xN.1260763909_2bst.jpg

Absolutely you may. I was just thinking of navigating the Label Resource myself, but thanks. If you need other pics I can send more.
So if you have a designer name for your shorts then possibly there was a designer for this shirt? And 1944, the war isn't over yet so Catalina must have had a pre surfer look that they were manufacturing. Pre as in the 1950s surfer hype.
Geri

Absolutely you may. I was just thinking of navigating the Label Resource myself, but thanks. If you need other pics I can send more.
So if you have a designer name for your shorts then possibly there was a designer for this shirt? And 1944, the war isn't over yet so Catalina must have had a pre surfer look that they were manufacturing. Pre as in the 1950s surfer hype.
Geri
Thanks! The image of the back with the Silknit text is good for the Label Resource. Mary Ann DeWeese may very well have designed your shirt, as she was at Catalina for quite some time before going off on her own.

I did some more research and found these designers that also worked for Catalina during the Styled for the Hollywood Stars period. These included Orry Kelly, Milo Anderson, Edith Head and Travis Banton. Thanks again for your help Vintagiality and Ranch Queen.

Back