Ceil Chapman Wedding Dress(!!!) Questions!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by alyciasea, May 30, 2024.

1. alyciasea

alyciasea Registered Guest

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I wanted to share a bit of backstory, so feel free to skip entirely if you're wanting to get to the meat + potatoes.

I got engaged recently; I'm a vintage enthusiast, starting to consider myself more of a 'collector' as I find my gems. I have had a saved search for about ten different ceil chapman terms for a LONG time just in case. Nothing has come up in the last 18 months that is anywhere near my size. I've been hesitant to purchase vintage because of the challenges with returns.

Last week I went shopping for a modern dress and found a dress I truly loved, but still found myself pouring through listings on gem and etsy hoping to find something vintage. I am heavily tattooed so no lace, heavy patterning, etc. I wasn't sold on the price of the modern dress for the mediocre materials and it just lacked that something special that vintage offers.

I was introduced to Ceil Chapman from my grandmother who loved her dresses; my grandma and I share a birthday and were truly best friends for my entire life. She recently passed which made my pursuit of a Ceil Chapman dress even hotter. I had given up, but...!

Imagine my surprise Wednesday morning when I get an alert that a Ceil Chapman Wedding dress has popped up on etsy. The measurements are mine perfectly and exactly, I am just flabbergasted. I couldn't order fast enough! I am hoping it all fits well, fortunately the seller has graciously offered to accept fit-based returns.

With that said, I am not new to a good vintage bathtub soak, but this piece is so coveted!

QUESTIONS:
    1) How do you recommend I clean it? Is it safe to DIY? Would a dry cleaner even be able to do this? I have the Restoration brand cleaner I believe it's called. I have a sister-in-law who cleans and sells vintage willing to help as well.
    2) Any idea on the history, approximate date, or has anyone seen one of these dresses? My gut is telling me early 50s as it's lacking the volume and shine i'd expect from a mid-50s ceil chapman piece, but who knows!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. beatingHeart

Well, ISN'T THAT GORGEOUS!!
    I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer your questions. :)

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Do NOT attempt to wet clean this yourself. Odds are very high that the various fabrics will shrink at different rates and the dress will be ruined. Plus the pleated section won't be pleated any more. Find a dry-cleaner that specializes in wedding dress and take it to them to see and talk about what you need done. If it's clean, but a bit musty, ask them about an ozone treatment.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is a beauty! Hollis has given you some sound advice.

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

This is fabulous! Please take it to a cleaners who is well recommended and experienced with vintage and/or bridal. This is a very special dress and should not be soaked in the bathtub. It would likely lose its 'form' and oomph if you do.

Such a lovely dress...

6. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

What Hollis said. I have ruined a great dress by soaking it myself. The different layers shrink differently.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The outer layer looks like cotton Organdy or Organza (silk). Its stunning!

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The outer layer looks like cotton Organdy or Organza (silk). Its stunning!