Chris, I found an unusual little purse

ellenm

Registered Guest
Have you ever seen one like this? It looks like the leather top to a mahogany table from the 1940s/1950s. It's made in Florence, Italy. There is one small side pocket inside. The inside is leather, of course. No name other than "Made in Florence, Italy."

italypurse2.jpg

I really really like that! It does remind me exactly of fine wood. it reminds me almost of satinwood or a lightly burled wood unless it is my monitor making it appear that way. It is possible it has been hand finished/dyed in the second layer of the dye process. It would be an export made for the US as it would say Florenza Italia I believe if it was made for the locals.

Is the gold inlaid, "stamped" or painted? Is the "horseshoe" part of the top concentric circle and it closes by the bottom one fitting into it, or is that just a decoration and it is a turn lock?

A common myth is that Italy is known for their fine leather. When in truth, they are actually known for their leather finishing processes. All the leather is imported. If you go to Italy you will see sheep and goat herd...too hilly/mountainous for cattle who are not nearly as sure footed. They get their hides from the north. Any climate more temperate than Italy and the hides would have too many scars from insects. That's why for the most part Mexican and South American native leathergoods are elaborated tooled. Or more likely to be heavily processed or otherwise maniupulated.

Sorry, went a little OT....

Interesting information Chris.

Would this be considered a casket or coffin shape?

Ellen, I like this and it looks to be in excellent shape.

Sue

Is the gold inlaid, "stamped" or painted? Is the "horseshoe" part of the top concentric circle and it closes by the bottom one fitting into it, or is that just a decoration and it is a turn lock?

The gold is inlaid. The horseshoe part of the top circle closes by fitting over the bottom circle.

I wonder if it might be better to save it till fall. It is dark leather and people are all after light spring things now.

Is it a metal or enamel in lay then?

People search for interesting purses all year. I have bought spring stuff in the dead of winter and winter bags in July. But if you want to crossover to wearers, you might want to wait til at least August. However, the other school of thought is you won't have as much competition because everyone will be showing their brown and black purses then. So it is always a darned if you do darned if you don't.

Fascinatingly enough, i have had searches for "cashmere sweaters" as hits to my items even though one might think its the wrong time of year.

I'll keep my eyes open for this one definitely either way.

Back