Classics Mary Quant Label - help dating, add to label resource?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Shusteroo, Jul 23, 2024.

1. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Hi all,
    I have this Classics Mary Quant skirt - I thought the label could be added to the Label Resource, but I could use some help with dating - I think it may be 80s? Although perhaps 90s, I'm not sure. Does anyone recognise the label, or have any thoughts on the date?

I have quite a few labels I've been meaning to add, so it's good to be finally getting around to it.

upload_2024-7-23_13-31-13.jpeg
    upload_2024-7-23_13-31-31.jpeg

upload_2024-7-23_13-31-48.jpeg

upload_2024-7-23_13-32-2.jpeg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. BlackLotusVintage

BlackLotusVintage VFG Board Member Staff Member

Going off of the standardized wash codes present It falls into the 1976-1982 range- based on style and construction I would lean towards the early 80's. I am still searching for another of this label to get a better idea and more info, but this is wat I have so far.

Shusteroo likes this.
  3. retro ruth

retro ruth Administrator Staff Member

To me the presence of the drying symbol (do not tumble dry in this case), and the wash tub with temperature only (no number), suggests mid-80s or later.

I agree stylewise it looks 80s to me.

Shusteroo and BlackLotusVintage like this.
  4. BlackLotusVintage

Adding that after a UK trademark search, the instance of the Mary Quant signature in this style has a modern registration date- I will be continuing my search and report back.
    to upload_2024-7-23_10-17-43.png

Shusteroo and retro ruth like this.
  5. BlackLotusVintage

Looking a bit further into the wash codes- the UK has a slightly different timeline. In the 1980s care labels got the British Standard (BS2427:1980 followed by BS2427:1986) and the drying symbol makes its first appearance. The drying symbol on yours appears to match the 1986 version listed-
    There is some very useful information on this website The Collectors Companion

Shusteroo likes this.
  6. BlackLotusVintage

A different style signature was used in some way, but earlier (64-81), in the perfume house line-
    upload_2024-7-23_10-38-52.png

Shusteroo likes this.
  7. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Thanks Ruth.

8. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Thanks Jolene. Yes, the Collectors Companion is really helpful - it has a great guide, I refer to it a lot!

Thanks for looking up the trademark/signature, what a great idea. The info you've found is really interesting. The one on the skirt label does look very similar to the one you've found that had a trademark registered in 2010. There are some subtle differences (the first 'a' on my label is not closed, and the way the 'r' joins the 'y' is different. Also, not sure if it matters, but my signature is not slanted. I wonder if there was a slightly different version used, or if it's even possible a label would be used before it was trademarked?

The perfume house signature does look completely different, so at first I would have thought MQ's earlier signature was different... but then I found a memorabilia website with a 1964 index card with her signature and it looks very similar to my label/the 2010 trademark. Sometimes, I just seem to end up with more questions! :)

I agree with Ruth that I think it is 1986 onwards, I'm just not sure quite how much onwards!

9. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

I've just noticed some more info on the Collectors Companion guide which may help pinpoint the dating further. Under the 2000s section it states: "In 2005 the order of the symbols was changed, requiring labels to show them in process order: Wash, bleach, dry, iron, dry clean."

The label on the skirt does show the labels in that order, so it seems the skirt may well be 2005 onwards. I've never really checked before to see if any of my other items, that I know are earlier than the 2005 regulations, may inadvertently have the symbols in that order, or whether all items were always in a different order before. I know there are often exceptions to rules, and just because they weren't required to be in that order, doesn't mean that they weren't! The guide also mentions that in 2012, the sizing of the symbol was made more consistent and squared off. I can't really tell one way or than other on that point.

I must admit the skirt really did seem to me to be 80s or 90s, but then it does have a 'Classics' label, so maybe that was intentional! I'm not quite sure what to do now date wise with the label resource.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2024
  10. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

I wasn't sure what to do with this, so parked it for a while, as I didn't want to upload a label to the resource with an incorrect date.

I've come back to it again recently, and realised that the measurements are more in keeping with mid/late 80s or possibly early 90s - as the skirt does come up approx one or two sizes smaller than later sizing (depending on the desired fit). The skirt is labelled as a UK size 14, but the waist measures 29.5" (a modern UK 14 is approx 31.75" although obviously brands differ).

I haven't uploaded a label to the resource before - I'm confident the skirt is 1986 or later. Can I give a range of dates e.g. mid 80s - early 90s? Or would you date as circa mid/late 80s? Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2024 at 2:25 PM