contemplating permanent antique booth.. thoughts?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Hattysattic, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

I have been around on and off over the last few days as my storage situation is becoming silly and I've been packing up a lot of stuff.

The slightly organised room with the temporary crates and studio became packed to the gunnells (I'm just a girl that can't say no...) and I have been looking into storage units so we don't have to up and move house with all this stuff in tow. The thought of which actually makes me want to cry (poor Jamie, I felt for you!)

Considered subletting purely for storage, but then another dealer I know has a few units at a big antiques centre near me, and told me the prices were quite reasonable. The same, infact, for a space half the size at the antique centre.

I am thinking I can take all my so-so stock that I would normally ebay so I was less worried about it than my website stock (so nothing hgher end, just fun wearable vintage that isn't necessarily amazing), price it cheap, and also clear my house of 1930s vases, homeware stuff I can't leave behind, lamps, linens, 50s atomic stuff etc. at the same time.

I'm thinking as long as I break even i would be happy.

How long to trial it for though? I thought 3 months, and take a smaller unit. Then if it goes well I'd take on a larger one for all my excess furniture!! :D

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Harriet,

That certainly sounds like a good solution, as it is an antique market I assume you may not have to be there all the time, which I think is a good thing. Do others who are there take care of your booth for you?

This does sound like the ideal to make some money and get rid of stuff. I think 3 months of a run of it should give you an indication if there is money to be made there as you would not only want to meet the expenses at some point some profit has to enter the venue or your motivation for it won't last.

Good luck with it should you decide to go for it, I only wish I had such a venue myself there is 1 place out in the suburbs here but it is far away from where I am living and I can't see vintage clothing doing well there.

3. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

Have you thought of doing a lot offering for the average items? I've sold several lots of 20-30 pieces of good to ok quality via easy, down and dirty quick listing. Usually these are costume quality or fixer-upers. My listings have a group pic and then a few closeup shots. The description is simple, left to right as the group pic goes with simple indications (black 40s dress) and indication of size (SML) and a quick condition report, repairs if necessary.
    I have sold 3 of 4 to Europe. Don't know why!?

Anyway, if I can clear a decent amount on this sort of listing, if you were to do a simple frontal shot of each item, even on a padded hanger and give a good quick description, I think you could clear a better amount each..even on ebay.

Just a thought.

Jenn

4. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

I think that is a good idea Harriet, you never know until you try!

I would add, work out your opening hours carefully at the start it is easier to start off with shorter ones at the start, then if you think you are missing out on good trade to extend them to accommodate it,
    than the other way around as regular visitors will suddenly find you closed on that day when you were open at the same time last week.

Also do expect a reaction from the other traders, if they see you selling a lot of one type of item, they will not sit back but could start to stock the same things if they can and cash in on your trade.
    Too a extent that's ok, as people will visit because they know that for example they stand a very good change of finding the right handbag if not form one stand then another, but their is a point when over kill comes in when customers can only see handbags and nothing else, also this will have the effect of driving prices down, the skill is judging this point, and moving on to something else.
    that's why big stores buy a 1000 of one item then they might not stock it again, it's like cat and mouse.

On the negative point their is a lot of sitting and waiting for customers to walk through the door. As Jenn points out you could have lots of several items sold on Ebay to one person when walk in customers may only buy one or two items at a time.

More positively you could spend the time doing the listing and could set up a area so you could take some photos even if in the back ground you could see some other items in that would be OK, also have the effect of differentiating work from home life.
    I do think you are making the right move as a trial, also consider your tax position, you may be able to off set more expenses with a physical shop than working from home.

5. Hattysattic

Thanks everyone.

I did the lot things Jenn, and it's definitely a good idea - I've got so much 'overstock' that I think I can continue to do one lot a month, and fill another venue. (And do my vintage fairs.. but that's with the better stuff :BAGUSE: ) It just seems to take me so long to do them I put it off, and then it's storage in the meantime.

The booth is in a centre which is open everyday except Christmas, and is about a 1/2hr drive from me. It's a 5% commission on sales to cover credit cards and admin etc., they have cctv etc. and I've been going in there for years and they seem like decent people. I'm happy with 5%, compared to ebay.

There are 4 other clothing units in there (one of whom is my dealer friend, she's going to stop doing clothes when it's all sold) ranging from proper 'antique' clothing to 70s poly. I think people visit specifically for the clothes, and he said he's trying to keep a balance but would be happy with another unit. I think in all there are about 60 in the building so it's still a small part of what's on offer.

Well, I shall go up there today and have lunch (cafe is a bonus!) and a chat, and most likely put my name down. Infact I have already decided to go with it for a bit (even though I claim to my husband to just be considering it) - I bought a load of 40s dress fabric today thinking 'ooh I could put that in my unit'. And some shelves, lol.

Thanks - will keep you posted!

6. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

I think a booth is a good idea especially since halloween and the hoildays are just around the bend and the cool weather is approaching. And people really love to shop when it is cooler.

And moving all that stuff took me a whole day with me and my mom doing it. All my vintage stuff took up half of a 10x30 storage!!! My hubby wasn't too happy b/c up until that point I had been able to hid a good portion of my stuff from him in different places in the house. But once we moved it and then moved into a smaller place you can't help but notice that it takes up the whole garage and then some!!!!

I have been scoping out an antique dealer mall about 6 miles from my new house. They aren't really busy during the week, but the weekends they are packed with people. The great part is that I would be the only one with vintage clothes in the whole place!!! And the owners have stated and called me several times to ask when I would start bringing my stuff. The only down side is that it is 2.35 a square foot. At the moment I figured I am going to need about 120.00 in space every month. I have been talking with the owner of getting the first month for half price to test the waters.

I think I would do great there and it would get some it out of the garage and I could place my business cards at the front desk and around my little booth. THis would attract more business to my website which means people will buy from there or at least tell their friends and give them the website address for them to look at.

7. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

I tried an antique booth in a small town nearby several years ago but only made enough to pay my rent. I can honestly say I didn't restock it like I should have.

That is an interesting idea since it will be Halloween and cooler weather soon. I never tried vintage clothing. Hmmm, I may have to look into this, too!

Harriet, keep us posted!!

8. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

I had an antique booth that I shared with my Dad. He had one for a long time and then about 5 years ago I went in with him. He passed away in April and my heart was just not into it after that. I stopped going in as often and my sales plummeted. I closed the booth in July. The only advice I can offer is to shuffle things around as often as you can and add new things whenever you can. You will begin to have regular customers and when they see that you have new goodies coming in all the time, they are more likely to come back and more often. I think if there are already vintage sellers in there, you already have a customer base to sell to and you should do well!
    Good Luck!
    Carrie

9. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

LOL, well I'm already part of the customer base at the mall where Harriet wants to go to so at least she'll have me buying:USETHUMBUP:

Lei

10. anessa

anessa Guest

Hi Harriet -

My primary source of income is through my booth (well a large portion of the basement area) in an antique mall and it sounds like you've got the right idea.

I call the booth my "dumping grounds" and that's where we put our so-so items (we deal mostly in furniture/smalls down there) and man oh man does it get torn up and stolen! In an antique mall people don't watch your stuff and they don't care if it gets broken or they throw your items in another person's booth. Yes we make lots of money (we are in an area designated for MCM too which helps) but some of the stress isn't always worth it. Just the other day my friend came into her booth to find that someone had TORN a cashmere 50's sweater down the front while on the mannequin to get the skirt off of it! Ludicrous! I only put clothing that I don't care about down there and then I don't get too angry when it gets stolen or ripped.

But as long as you are putting your "junk" so to speak it can be VERY lucrative and very relaxed. Just keep in mind if you are selling clothing it will get EVERYWHERE and there is generally no one to clean it up except you!

Here are a few pics of our booth spaces right now:

The Danish Modern Room (ok well all of that stufff is literally sold but we keep the same kind of look going)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's the new 50's atomic booth I set up a few weeks ago - most of the stuff in this one is gone too I fear - but you get the idea. (ps I covere up that atrocious window and all the plugs w/ curtains!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Hattysattic

Anessa, now I want ALL YOUR STUFF. Love the tree painting, the desk it is sitting on.. and most of the lamps and sofas! :)

My shopping urges aside, thanks for posting that. Very interesting! That's just about the way I am thinking of it - I shan't be putting anything there where it would break my heart if it got pinched as i had a feeling that could be the case. They do have security but it's not wonderful, and having seen the mess people can leave things in I am quite wary of taking anything delicate.

But how on earth do you rip a cashmere sweater? That's unbelieveble behaviour!

I had been thinking about having a lot of things like handbags on display in (locked) cabinets, but my friend seems to be of the opinion people need to touch stuff sometimes in order to 'have to have it'.

Anyone have any opionions on that? I'm not really sure. I suppose it will be a case of trial and error.

I think I will maybe concentrate on a 50/50 mix of clothes and collectables to start and see what sells the best.

Oh, I wish I was in the US. I want that desk, I keep looking at it!! :BAGUSE:

12. anessa

anessa Guest

Thanks for your kind remarks! We do a mix of clothing (you can't see any of it in the pics but there's a bunch of it down there) and it really helps out. Sometimes there are slow months (July was too hot and we barely did $300 for the entire month - mostly all in clothing too) and then you get fast months where I've sold a TON and it seems I can't keep anything in stock. We tried locked cases and it doesn't work - there's no one to really unlock them and well - (mine was all jewelry) I'd just rather keep it anyway!

About the desk - It was is made in Yugoslovia so perhaps you could find one similar on eBay? And the tree print (which is sold unfortunately - I'd just send it to you!) is on eBay all the time. It is by Marushka and is actually a silk screen. The huge red flower above the tulip table is by the same company. I see those screens on eBay ALL the time though and they usually go from $35-75 depending on size and condition. Let's see in Euros that's... 20-35 ish - yes? Hehehe - not the best at the calculations now that our lovely pres has started this war and made our money worthless. Ahhh but another topic - don't get me started on that guy! LOL!

13. Hattysattic

Thanks for the tips Anessa - I am going to browse ebay for screenprints and yugoslavian desks later :)

It's a good job that I can't get the desk really though.. my husband would probably up and leave if I appear with one more piece of unnecessary furniture (well, he thinks they are - I don't!)

(I just gave away a stripped pine arts and crafts wardrobe, and a 1930s walnut sideboard as I simply don't have room to keep them. And they were nice, but my house was beginning to look like a storage unit and I was too impatient to wait to sell them!)