Could this be NYC before the Trade Centers were built?

polyesterchesters

Registered Guest
I love this blouse.... and I have had the hardest time placing the skyline. I believe it is NYC before the Trade Centers were built in I think 69? Do you agree?

skyline1.JPG

skyline3.JPG

the collar looks so 70's maybe they just liked the sky line pic better without the towers back then

you know, i saw this on VCA and thought that, 'cos that really does look like the Brooklyn bridge. when were the towers actually completed - not 71 or so?
for a romantic blouse like this, since everyone didn't like the brutalist look of them, i'd find it entirely plausible that they disguised or missed them out somehow.

lin

(you need to compare it to a pre -and post-towers pic from Columbia heights/montague street, brooklyn, as they look further up the island from there than you'd expect)

its hard to say. it could be a number of cities with suspension bridges really as it is an interpretive vs a literal rendering.

unless those two tallest buildings are meant to be the towers.

but also, a fabric could have been around before the manufacturer bought it to make the shirt and being that the towers were on the 60s/70s cusps, they were still new to be on something like that.

i don't really know, just throwing ideas around.

you know, it just occurred to me that if the designer of this shirt had been in Nyc at all, they might have been wandering around washington square in, um, a bit of a daze?

in that case they'd be doing a somewhat impressionistic rendering of the skyline...

and you know, i think there's enough recognizable features there to argue that it is. especially the way the river loops around the end like that.
:)

just looked it up, Towers opened in 1972. NO tags in the shirt.... I am perplexed it is like a great debate.... someone said San Fran.

Any keyword thoughts?

Back