date help on slingback shoes, 70's?

VintageFray

Alumni
date help on slingback shoes, 70\'s?

Hey happy new year everyone!

I'm a bit stuck with dating these slingback heels, My first thought was 70's, but i'm unsure.

They're brown patent leather, with what i think might be snake skin on the heel and side. Leather soles. Maker is "Alende Mayfair the london shoemaker"

What does everyone think?
Thanks for your help in advance!

sideview.jpg

fronton.jpg

backshoes.jpg

shoelabel-1.jpg

Those are very cute! I'll be interested to hear what Jonathan, our resident shoe expert has to say, but I'll give it a go. 70s sounds right to me. I'm basing it on the slim heel, the larger size of the open toe (as opposed to a peeptoe) and the insole font.

My alternate guess would be late 50s.

They are looking a bit earlier to me. If they are 70's, the maker seems to have been styling them as a throw back or inspiration from the past. I do agree about the open toe though, very possibly you are right. I am no shoe expert, but those are darn cute!! Jonathan will definitely be able to pin down a good date range for you.

The open toe is VERY open, which you don't see until the 70s, and the upper assymetrical design and mixed materials are more typical of the 1970s-80s. The heel is not specifically one way or the other, however but the full beige lining is also more typically 1970s-80s. I think these are late 1970s - early 1980s, in fact I would guess c. 1980 on the nose. The style is retro inspired which is why it looks earlier but the details are later.

Thanks so much for your help! It's great to have the date so specifically. They do have a retro look, which was throwing me off. I learn something new every time I ask a question here, the open toe trick is definitely something I'll have to remember.

Back