Date on this Ballantyne Camel Hair Cardigan?

Tim__mk85

Registered Guest
Hi, i am thinking 1950's judging by the label. Not too sure, anyone can shed some light on this?

I'm reading old Ballantynes are among the best in knitwear. I consider 1950's quite old. Love to hear from you!

Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-10-19 at 12.47.17.png

A picture of the whole sweater would be helpful. And yes, these older Ballantyne sweaters are fantastically high quality. Any sweater you buy today going to be around in 65 years…?

A picture of the whole sweater would be helpful. And yes, these older Ballantyne sweaters are fantastically high quality. Any sweater you buy today going to be around in 65 years…?
Ofcourse, here they are. Interested to hear your thoughts. This is all i have atm

Attachments

• IMG_4719.jpeg
    IMG_4719.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4720.jpeg
    IMG_4720.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 28
Hi there, lovely cardigan. You are right that Ballantyne were renowned worldwide for the quality of their knitwear. Ballantyne Sportswear was founded in 1921, with a dedicated knitwear factory, however the Ballantyne family had played a leading role in Scotland's textile industry for several hundred years prior.

I would estimate this as circa late 1960s/70s. This website has some interesting information about their history - under the 'Late 1960s' heading it mentions that "Natural fibres other than wool were investigated – camel hair, vicuna and alpaca included."

I was thinking the precision of ‘100%’ for fabric content denotes later than 1950s, and fits more with later decades. Eg in the 50s you might see ‘All wool’ on a label, but I don’t think I’ve seen numerical values until later, when fabric content labelling starts to be more regulated.

Late 60s or thereabouts seems right.

Back