Dates anyone?????

I have these hats that are a little later than what I usually deal with so I thought that I'd ask for a little help on dating...... the hats that is!

macya.jpg

macyc.jpg

and...

gimbles.jpg

gimblesf.jpg

Thanks!

I have absolutely no idea but wanted to say I love your heads!

And they hats are great too!

Who does hats??? Anne, Hollis & Jonathan I think.

I don't do them because I am afraid they won't sell. Or do they???? I'd like to hear some thoughts on selling hats... sorry, not meaning to hijack your post :BAGUSE:

I buy hats sometimes but I am not really an expert. My guess on the first one would be early 30's and the second one mid 40's but this really is a guess

hmm. I was thinking 50s on both. The top one is a bit small and high on the head and structured for 30s. The bottom one isn't 20s, it isn't 30s or early to mid 40s. I am thinking 50s to 60s.

But Jonathan can be more specific. He has his hats down better than I.

Hollis

The brown one is definatley late 40s - very early 50s, Juliet style. They look very similar from the late 30s until the mid 50s but the rolled brim and large panache (that is what you call a feather ornament on a hat) are typical of the post war 40s and early 50s.

The blue one is either mid 40s or early 60s but I am leaning towards the mid 40s because of the the rhinestone button trim and that colour. Dark teal just isn't a big colour in the early 60s for hats. If it was navy or turquoise, then I might go that direction. It might also have been worn collapsed, more beret like... hard to be certain without handling it. The label certainly looks too old for the 60s with that tan ground. By the 60s most hat labels are bright white or black and more often than not satin... just not sure.

Back