Dating mid century men’s scarves

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Andrii, Aug 21, 2024.

1. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

Hi everyone, so I got these scarves that I think are at least from the 1960s.
    The first one is made by Sammy that was a popular British brand back then I think.
    The white one hasn’t got a maker tag but a terylene tag also tells 1960s or earlier.
    I think terylene was patented in 1941 so perhaps it could as well be an earlier item?
    No (r) symbol or care label that could make me think of a later date than 1960s.
    Tassel fringe on those two, probably you could call them opera scarves.

The paisley one is probably acetate double sided with a cashmere wool, however no tags on it at all.

Could you date them by width and length or style?
    The first one, made by Sammy is 10,6” x 54” or 27 x 137 cm, including 3,9” / 10 cm fringe.
    I suppose it’s made of rayon.
    The white Terylene one measures 11,8” x 54” / 30 x 137 cm including a 2,75” / 7 cm fringe.
    The paisley one measures 11,2” x 58” / 28,5 x 148 cm including a 3,35” / 8,5 cm fringe.

I do not have a clue about the striped one but I’ve seen 1940s or 1950s catalogs with similar scarves.
    I am not sure if it’s a mens or womens scarf, doesn’t have any tags either.
    According to a burn test it is made of an animal fiber, silk or wool blend I suppose.
    You can see threads that look like a thin white hair on the edge of the scarf.
    It is smaller, measuring 6,7” x 44” / 17 x 112 cm.

What do you think?
    Your opinion would be much appreciated!
    Cheers, Andrii

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2024
    poshthreads likes this.