Dating (piano?) shawl with handwritten "s"

AngAllen

Registered Guest
Hello! I found this lovely shawl (?) languishing in a fabric pile at an antique store, and after reading everything I could find on the forums about piano shawls, I have a couple questions.

First, details: the shawl measures 54" by 54" with 16" tassels, so I think it seems a bit small for a "piano" shawl. The fabric also seems to be rayon, but I am still gaining fabric experience so I could be wrong. The tassels are definitely not natural silk. Because the tassels are straight and simple I would put this later in the century (again, I could be incorrect), but I have a specific question about two handwritten "tags" I found attached to the shawl.

One tag reads "s" and the other seems to say "B. Spearer"? Can anyone decipher this handwriting (just curious what you see)? Has anyone seen an "s" on a piece like this before or do you know what the "s" could indicate?

Also, I think this is machine embroidery. What is the stitch called at the edge of the garment between the tassels? Overall, I'm wondering if this shawl could be pretty modern, or if it is a tablecloth.

Thank you so much in advance for your input! I truly appreciate your time.

Attachments

• IMG_7280.JPG
    IMG_7280.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 388
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 375
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_7282.JPG
    IMG_7282.JPG