Dating Vintage Fabric

Beckie

Registered Guest
I have rescued about 15 yards of fabric and 3 sets of cotton drapes from the trash but don't know if they were worth saving. Would love any help in identifying this fabric. The first shot is of the pleated and lined cotton drapery panels. The second and third shots are 6yds each both medium weight. the 4th piece appears to be barkcloth? The last two are of thin weight with some dye transfer. No markings on any of it. Thanks so much. Beckie

Attachments

• IMG_3414.JPG
    IMG_3414.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_3415.JPG
    IMG_3415.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_3416.JPG
    IMG_3416.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_3420.JPG
    IMG_3420.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_3422.JPG
    IMG_3422.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_3425.JPG
    IMG_3425.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 335
Hard to say without actually handling them, but the first one - the draperies looks like C. 1960's sateen; the second picture looks like C. 1950's bark cloth; the third one like a multi-purpose C. 1960's cotton floral print. If it's "shiny" it would be called chintz ; the fourth looks late 1960's - possibly bark cloth or a cotton/linen blend; the fifth one also looks C. 1960's to me - avocado green was very big then and the last one looks like a cotton/linen blend sometimes called "union cloth" also C. 1960's.

They all look like "multi-purpose" fabrics meant to be used for draperies, pillows, cushions or upholstery and/or other decorative purposes rather than clothing.

This is a very fun rescue - hopefully you can use some of them!

Linn

Hard to say without actually handling them, but the first one - the draperies looks like C. 1960's sateen; the second picture looks like C. 1950's bark cloth; the third one like a multi-purpose C. 1960's cotton floral print. If it's "shiny" it would be called chintz ; the fourth looks late 1960's - possibly bark cloth or a cotton/linen blend; the fifth one also looks C. 1960's to me - avocado green was very big then and the last one looks like a cotton/linen blend sometimes called "union cloth" also C. 1960's.

They all look like "multi-purpose" fabrics meant to be used for draperies, pillows, cushions or upholstery and/or other decorative purposes rather than clothing.

Linn

Linn

Thanks so much for your reply. Much appreciated.

Back