Decade of Make on Aquascutum Men’s Coat

Nicole C.

Registered Guest
Good morning. I’ve just joined VFG because my father in law passed away recently and I’m hoping to identify details on a couple coats.

I’ve read the new member info, and I will do my best to adhere to the guidelines.

The coat in question here is an Aquascutum. My father in law lived in England at some point in the 1970’s, so I’m guessing that’s when he bought it.

For the life of me, I cannot find any Care Instructions or details of materials used to narrow it down even though I've checked every inch of the seams, inside pockets, even inside sleeves!

The only thing I’ve found is what appears to be a serial or style number followed by the size.

Perhaps the original lining was replaced and the tags are hidden inside??

I’m also curious to know the reason for the “Kallen’s NY” tag…would that be somewhere it was professionally altered and/or cleaned after he got it?

Also, is this a trench coat, overcoat, something else?

I’m going to post all the photos I think may be relevant, but please let me know if you need more.

Thanks so much in advance!

IMG_5081.jpeg IMG_5079.jpeg IMG_5078.jpeg IMG_5077.jpeg IMG_5076.jpeg IMG_5075.jpeg IMG_5073.jpeg IMG_5081.jpeg IMG_5079.jpeg IMG_5081.jpeg IMG_5081.jpeg IMG_5079.jpeg IMG_5078.jpeg IMG_5077.jpeg IMG_5076.jpeg IMG_5075.jpeg IMG_5073.jpeg

Last edited:
image.jpg image.jpg Oh my gosh. I didn’t realize that it duplicated my photos and didn’t include all the ones I wanted to share. Let’s see if it’s better now…

I have to preface this by saying I Am Not An Expert, but it looks older to me, both the labels and the style of the coat. It looks quite similar to a men's coat I have that I believe is 50s or possibly early 60s, not Aquascutum but the style is very similar. But hopefully the real experts will weigh in.

I have to preface this by saying I Am Not An Expert, but it looks older to me, both the labels and the style of the coat. It looks quite similar to a men's coat I have that I believe is 50s or possibly early 60s, not Aquascutum but the style is very similar. But hopefully the real experts will weigh in.
Thanks for your help!

I believe your coat, while made by Aquascutum, was retailed (sold) in New York by a store called Kallen's. It was not unusual for stores to add their own labels to "name brand" clothing that they carried in stock.
According to THIS, Kallen's Clothes was incorporated in 1953. They definitely sold more than furs, I've found mention of someone buying a tuxedo there.
Your label does appear to match the 1960s example in our Label Resource.

I believe your coat, while made by Aquascutum, was retailed (sold) in New York by a store called Kallen's. It was not unusual for stores to add their own labels to "name brand" clothing that they carried in stock.
According to THIS, Kallen's Clothes was incorporated in 1953. They definitely sold more than furs, I've found mention of someone buying a tuxedo there.
Your label does appear to match the 1960s example in our Label Resource.
Amazingly helpful! I did see the match to the 60s on your label resource, but wanted to dig a little deeper. Thank you!

Back