Description help on Grecian look gown

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bluevelvetvintage, May 11, 2004.

1. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Hi everyone! Aside from the obvious fact that this dress has a Grecian look, what else can I say about it? I totally stink at describing clothes in an exciting way, which isn't a good thing considering I'm trying to sell them!!!LOL. Does anyone know if this type of look is even popular? Also, I'm guessing 70s. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me!

Thanks Theresa
    Blue Velvet Vintage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

it actually looks more "roman" looking to me with all the cross wraps around and just below the bust, but that is just my opinion. "grecian goddess" is more or less an understood silhoeutte style vs roman senator's wife, though. so i would run more with the first.

70s - these looks were big and kinda morphed into disco goddess, but with all the Cleopatra business in the 60s, i am sure it started to creep in then. (though neoclasic themes come and go)

what is unusual about this one is that it is actually in black. I am used to seeing them in white, all shades of off white, and gold.

What about
    70s Mysterious Goddess In Black etc etc.

chris

3. Vintagetrend

Vintagetrend Registered Guest

Ooooo I quite like that!
    I love the layered aspect of it, makes it just a bit different and almost modernizes it.
    It has a femme fatale feel to it. The kind of dress a woman would wear to bring out all the secrets a man has to the surface.
    Long curly locks intertwined with silver cord and fresh exotic flowers, a dramatic upper arm bracelet (perhaps in the shape of snake?) and strappy blood red toenail polish revealing stilettos and of course a devastating come-hither smile.... :)
    Some key words I think of when I see this are:
    Drama
    Dramatic
    Dark Goddess
    Femme Fatale
    Devastating
    Exquisite
    Plethora of Pleats
    Enchanting
    Come Hither
    Hypnotic
    Provacative...

I would play up the Siren of the Night aspect

Michelle

4. bluevelvetvintage

Yeah, Chris, now that I've looked at it again, the top part reminds me of a toga! Michelle, some great keywords! I think the goddess theme is the way to go! I picture strappy sandals that lace up the ankle and I love the idea of the upper arm bracelet. Thanks for the help!

Theresa

Blue Velvet Vintage

5. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

As always, great descriptive words from Michelle!

Ties that wrap like that always remind me of Claire McCardell. Funny how even the 70s show traces of her influence.

Lizzie

6. I'm of no help, but I also thought "Roman," like Chris... ..and dig Michelle's power-wielding-mama descriptors. :) I think it's LUSCIOUS, too. Those accordion pleats go all the way from the neckline to the hem, don't they?

Steph

7. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I would get Bewitching in there somewhere. Gorgeous!

Sue

8. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

would fit on perfect for october's vta : )

but of course that is thinking way too far ahead : )

9. bluevelvetvintage

Yes, Steph, the accordian pleats do start at the neck and Chris, I think the October idea is great! I'll have to think about whether I want to hold onto it it until then! Might bring a better price that month.

Theresa

Blue Velvet Vintage

10. Theresa, it really would go great in early October. I sold one last year with a cape that went big bucks. I will try to see if I can find that auction. Michelle's got some great descriptive words going for you, though. Good luck!