Early 50s dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Cvquez, Jun 11, 2024.

1. Cvquez

Cvquez Registered Guest

Hi all!

I’ve just inherited this dress from my grandmother, it’s an early 1950s piece. But I’m incredibly unsure of what material it is, but also how on earth to clean it! The material is quite rough or stiff.

any ideas would be great, I suppose it would be considered an heirloom piece, and so I’m very cautious in how to clean it!

thank you :)

Attached Files:

2. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

I agree with Cotton Organdy. It is likely stiffened with starch. I've had no issues soaking this fabric. I soak in the sink with a bit of Dawn dish soap (the blue - original), and either a color catcher or a bit of Synthrapol. If it is super starched, the water will become really slimy, and you'll have to change out the water and cleaner a few times. I would gently press the water out in the sink, as thin fabrics may tear when weighed down. Then, roll in a towel to wick away the moisture, then either flat dry or over a drying rack. If the spots do not remove during the soak, you can gently rub more Dawn directly into stains, let sit, then rinse. The dress is lovely!

3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I am no fabric expert but wanted to say that your grandma’s dress is beautiful

MagsRags likes this.
  4. Such a sweet dress and it is truly a family heirloom! Good luck with the cleaning!

5. Cvquez

Cvquez Registered Guest

Aw thank you guys so much. So helpful ❤️❤️

6. It is a sweet dress.
    I agree with the hand washing advise, But, it will need to be starched and ironed again.

7. BlackLotusVintage

BlackLotusVintage VFG Board Member

Absolutely adorable dress! I agree with organdy and the washing advice