Edwardian inspired puff sleeve gown dating. 1970s prairie?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Andrii, Aug 9, 2024.

1. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

When I got this gown I immediately thought it’s a 70s does edwardian, prairie dress. However I could be wrong, what are your thoughts? It’s definitely homemade, white and yellow mesh (or lace?), the lining was orange at first but washed out into a peachy pink color. (lots of color bleeding from this lining). I believe the dress is cotton, the lining feels like chiffon. Side zipper placement, could be earlier decade? I changed the zipper as it was broken and looked out of place - it was plastic with huge oversized teeth.
    Your opinion would be much appreciated, thanks

Attached Files:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Do you still have the zipper? I ask because it may have been the original celluloid zipper from the late 1930s... Cause it looks like it could be c. 1938ish to me:
    3b8950044d398217adaefb678fa75551.jpg

3. retro ruth

retro ruth Administrator Staff Member

I was wondering the exact same thing

Distantdetails and Andrii like this.
  4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

also has me thinking 30s; we've had a couple of items made of that sort of fabric, both dated to the 30s.

Distantdetails and Andrii like this.
  5. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

Thanks for your input Jonathan! Sadly, my bad, I got rid of an old zipper as the teeth were missing and I thought it was a more recent one. It’s teeth were made of a transparent lemon yellow color plastic similar to polycarbonate, so I thought it wasn’t an original zipper. However my wife said that it doesn’t look like it was replaced either. And as I previously said the teeth were big, tractor type and so was slider - they looked oversized and like they weren’t belong to such a feminine dress. I’m trying to google what 1930s celluloid zippers looked like but can’t find it anywhere. If you can advise were should I look for info on them, that would be much appreciated

Last edited: Aug 10, 2024
  6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

We have two in the collection - I will photograph it the next time I come across it.

Andrii likes this.
  7. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

Thank you so much, that would be so helpful!

8. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I have never personally seen or handled one. I did find two ads for Schiaparelli and the Lightning Plastic Fastener
    Schiaparelli plasticzipper.jpg

This one is dated 1937, doesn't really tell me much about how it looked.
    schiaparelli1937 plasticzipad-2.jpg

And a dress with celluloid zipper that was posted to an aggregator website in 2018
    30sdress-maybeplasticzipper.jpg

Andrii, Distantdetails and plousia like this.
  9. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

Thanks for the examples, the shape of the teeth look similar to what I had. But then again all tractor type plastic zippers look like this to me. What I’d like to know is could celluloid zippers be transparent like the one that was on this dress. I wish I hadn’t dump it, but for some reason I thought that plastic zippers are more recent, like post 1970s